How many customers on ERP 811 or testing ERP 811

jberry

Does anyone know how many people are live on ERP 8.11 and how many people are actively testing ERP 8.11?

This would help me out tremendous when trying to decide to go to this system.

Someone on the list mentioned four customers are live on 8.11 with 25
customers in the implementation process. Based on the spit amongst
the Quest attendees, that sounds accurate.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

We are a new client installing v8.11 on hp 9000 unix oracle 9i. VERY
different from XE. Web client is pretty fast, but JAS installion can be
difficult. E-mail me w/ specific questions.

I know of 2 specific customers who are live (I upgraded them both from 8.0). I am splitting time between 3 other clients of ours who are in the process of implementation. Two will be going live in July, and another in Oct.

If you want to (at some point) move up to Oracle's "Fusion" software, yo will need to go with 8.11, and not 8.10. 8.11 is Oracle's cutoff for support of an upgradt to Fusion.

hi,

we are running since a few months on 8.11.
For the moment it is still running in test/dev on 2 vmware esx servers with win2K3 and sql.
We are now looking for the hardware to start with the production environment, or it will be an new as400 I5 or intel servers with oracle 10g. We don't know yet. For us it is a completely new system, so we do not have to upgrade or migrate from something else.
Any ideas are welcome, certainly concerning the platform choice. as400 or intel with oracle ?

Kristof

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the information. I have sent a message to your e-mail address to ask specfic questions.

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas are welcome, certainly concerning the platform choice. as400 or intel with oracle ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kristof,

That question should spark a lively debate!! That is kind of like asking a religious question - should I be Muslim or Catholic?

There are fans of both platforms, I'm sure they will offer their opinions. We are a WinTel house, but all of my AS400 friends swear by that platform. If you have plans to migrate to Fusion, then investing in Oracle as the database would be a safe investment. Besides price, the other factor that you should look at is in-house expertise. Are you guys familiar with AS400s and DB2? Oracle 10G? MS SQL? Windows? Linux? Inventory your in-house resources and add that to your decision. Good luck with your decision. Let the AS400 vs Oracle 10G flame wars begin!!!!!
grin.gif

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Carlos

Attached is a document titled Upgrade Strategies put out by Oracle. It supports what Gilene has said.

Patty

Attachments

• 93084-EnterpriseOne Upgrade Strategies_May 13 2005.pdf
    740.3 KB · Views: 581
Hi.

we are in the process of migrating form XE to 8.11

we ar going form NT + MS SQL to Linux + DB2
at this point we are installing the Database (our firs time with db2), and preparing the deployment for snapshot.

We are testing 8.11 in CRP and anticipate to be live in September. We have had the Oracle lab do the conversion for us and to day it looks darn good. We are converting from Xe new the the WEB look. Any specific questions forward to me and I will be happy to answer.

i5, OS400, V5R3, Citrix, Xe, SP23I, Finicials, DIstribution, Manufacturing, CSMS process modeler.

Going to i5, V5R3, Websphere, 8.11, tools 9.4, Finicaials, Distribution, Manufacturing, CRM, Demand flow, UPK.

a question to current Xe customers - is 8.11 the release you are moving to?

it's becoming apparent this will be the release we will upgrade to, just want to see if anyone else feels the same

dpeplinski

We are moving from Xe to 8.11. The decision was made late last year. However, due to a number of reasons, we still have not upgraded - a long story. It looks like we will be upgrading in the 2nd half of this year.

We are on Xe and decided to upgrade to 8.11
We already installed it on a new AS400 partition, all environments exist already... Now we are planning ending coexistence, data migration, training,...
Since we are going to "activate" 8.11 piece by piece, it will be a long-term process before we will actually be ON 8.11

clmates,
A little off the topic issue here. Why are you giving it up on NT-MS SQL server enviroment?
thanks-

To reply to the question of AS400 vs. Oracle,
I have to say that I am a huge AS400/DB2 fan. The biggest problem I see with Oracle is the DBA's it takes just to maintain the database. AS/400's are smart enough that they don't need DBA's to tell them what to do.

Jimmy Berry
AS/400 DB2
E1 ERP 8 SP 23

To reply to the question of AS400 vs. Oracle,
I have to say that I am a huge AS400/DB2 fan. The
biggest problem I see with Oracle is the DBA's it
takes just to maintain the database. AS/400's are
smart enough that they don't need DBA's to tell them
what to do.

I would say the samething about MS SQL Server. Qracle
database is very high maintenance and expensive.

It's not that bad, in fact, I have a few customers running Oracle DB without any local DBA staff.

Once it's setup and configured, it can be left to run on it's own, like almost any other DB. They only call me in when they have any issues - very occasionally.

This will mostly depend on your downtime requirements - the less tolerant you are, the more likely you will need a permanent DBA employee, or maybe even a few in extreme cases.

Tuning can be done infrequently too - once tuned, it will perform for months (or more).

From what I've seen, on AS/400's this is somewhat masked and is not very obvious, but:
- It will still not perform well unless tuned - same as any other DB (including MS SQL Server);
- It takes an awful lot of PTF's to get it to function - I'd say a few times more than Oracle;
- Someone has to do both of the above and more, but IBM usually does it, sending consultants on-site and I will never believe it's free.

Overall, I should say, that Oracle is likely to be less expensive to maintain.

Unfortunately, in this case, logic is really powerless: this question is always answered accordingly to the personal preferences and beliefs of the person you ask...

Back