VMWare ESX

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Hey List....

New venture...is anyone using VMWare ESX solution with JDE successfully. The plan is to implement this solution at my company for all JDE systems. According to peoplesoft/Oracle they will support it as a physical system not a virtual system. I just wanted to know if anyone is using it out there and what's your experience and suggestions.

We had issues using VMWare. However we have seen good results with Dameware. You can contact me for more details. We are using VMWare for other applications but it had issues with JDE running on win2k.

--SomaV

We have a client that is very successfully using VMWare with OneWorld, and we just upgraded them to E810. I have sent them an email to see if they'll jump in on this discussion.

- Scott

We are running our Deployment/Enterprise/JAS servers on VMware ESX. It works great. With multiple servers running on one logical server, make your physical server beefy. I'd suggest using caching RAID cards (or your SAN), lots of RAM, and 2 or more dual core Athlons.

I wouldn't use VMware GSX or Microsoft's virtualization software: 1) too much CPU has to go into the host operating system (Windows) - 2) every time you patch windows and it has to reboot you have to reboot all your virtual servers - 3) with one BSOD on the physical server, all your virtual servers crash too. I’ve been running ESX for a few years now and have never had the ESX host operating system crash. Recently I upgraded to the latest version of ESX after 250+ days of uptime on all four of our physical ESX servers.

Following is what PeopleSoft/Oracle says about virtual servers, from their website:

Solution Summary

Date Created: 10/26/2004 11:53AM PDT
Date Modified: 01/08/2005 9:00AM PST

Solution ID: 200955472

Question: Does PeopleSoft support VMware?

Solution: PeopleSoft certifies our products (PeopleTools and EnterpriseOne Tools) on certain operating systems (including Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, etc.), not on specific hardware configurations. Therefore, as long as a customer configures VMware virtual machines with supported operating systems, we will treat them as though they are independent (non-virtual) systems and provide full support.

Our support team will attempt to resolve issues using our own environments with the same operating system. We will treat VMware virtual machines in a similar manner to any other non-virtual hardware system. That is, we will likely configure independent systems with a supported operating system for web/app/database servers and attempt to replicate a problem. In the event that we cannot replicate an issue on separate systems using the same OS, we will look to EMC/VMware or the OS vendor to address the problem and will work with them to find a resolution.

If you have a username/password for www.peoplesoft.com, you can see this policy here:
http://www4.peoplesoft.com/psdb.nsf/8a8a06594f72ee9888256bae00726172/d713e74ef633ca5a88256bab006ef215?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=4.2,3,1#_Section4.9

Back