CSV Export Alignment problem

kalpeshp

Hi List,

I am in one critical problem. I have one UBE which i want to export in to CSV (.txt) file. while i am exporting it in to CSV that time my columns are not coming properly aligned. Can any one help me on this issue so my data will be exported with proper alignment in to text file

Hi,
I'm not understand exactly want you want.
1/ you want a file CSV to import in Excel.
So, you must name it xxx.csv (not .txt) so that Excel open it directly and it will be align in columns (separated by comma ",").
In this case, it's not a problem that commas are not aligned because Excel will do it.

2/ you want a columnated (?) file so, you must build it with "concat" or other but be carfeul to size your columns.

3/ You use 'Export to csv' jde fonctionnality to have a csv file and some columns are disppear. So, in this case, you must size all columns in your section with same width.
But i think this is not your case.

To be more explicit, thanks to explain how you create your csv file (BSFN, TableConversion,...) ?

Regards,

There is a white paper on this - ott-00-0047 "Formatting a Report to Export to CSV". For best results, variables need to begin (left edge touches) grid lines. Turn your grid on with horizontal spacing of 52 and vertical spacing of 8. Make sure to use the alignment tools to align everything exactly. If one field is even one pixel below another, it will go on a new row. If fields do not start on a grid line, they could not show up at all or be staggered into new columns.

Sorry for jumping in on this one, but is there any way to do away with the spaces between the columns when exporting to csv. We have to open the report in excel and delete all the addional blank columns everytime.

Also sometimes when we insert a new column in an existing report and export to excel a few of the existing columns vanish. They appear in pdf but not in excel. we have to insert dummy columns to move the vanished columns a bit and then they appear. Any solution for this?

Thanks
Shrikanth

Just put your fields in CONSECUTIVE columns.
It will NOT look nice on your RDA, but you'll get the desired output (no more empty columns).
Warm regards,

The white paper shows to set the alignment to 52/8 and then let the fields to verlap, we do this by creating a version specific for CSV. Also if the report is only ever going to be a CSV create it as a columnar report.
Hope this helps....

Hi,

First of all thanks to Charles, Jeremy and webster for taking interest in my Quote.

According to our requirement, we have one invoice report which we want to export in .txt(Not Excel) file. For this when we are normally exporting it in .txt file that time our columns are not coming properly aligned like which has coming nicely in PDF File. Now our client wants it in very exact aligned like PDF File. For that we did lots of try to arranged our columns in UBE. We set all the variables in Left aligned. We have set its spacing horizontally and vertically. But there is no more improvements in our output. And this is the invoice report so it is not possible to make it columnar report.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,
I'm not understand exactly want you want.
1/ you want a file CSV to import in Excel.
So, you must name it xxx.csv (not .txt) so that Excel open it directly and it will be align in columns (separated by comma ",").
In this case, it's not a problem that commas are not aligned because Excel will do it.

2/ you want a columnated (?) file so, you must build it with "concat" or other but be carfeul to size your columns.

3/ You use 'Export to csv' jde fonctionnality to have a csv file and some columns are disppear. So, in this case, you must size all columns in your section with same width.
But i think this is not your case.

To be more explicit, thanks to explain how you create your csv file (BSFN, TableConversion,...) ?

Regards,

[/ QUOTE ]

Estimado amigo:
Entiendo tu problema, pero creo que te estas complicando la existencia. segun entiendo el problema, tu tienes un Reporte, y ese reporte para ti es una factura, y dicha factura tu la deseas imprimir. si es eso, aqui te proporciono un posible solucion.
1.- Modifica una version del reporte, y en el RDA(Print Setup, Peper Custom, Whidth=X,Height=Y), establece el tamaño del papel a las medidas de la factura fisica(papel, osea X x Y). Nota: debes de modificar el tamaño del papel en una version, en el objeto principal no verias los cambios.
2.- Formatea la version del reporte, como desees que quieras que salga la impresion, osea, ajusta los campos en el reporte, de tal manera que cuando quieras imprimir ese reporte, este caiga en el papel(fisico) en la posicion correcta.
3.- En las propiedades de la impresora, crea una nueva hoja con las dimenciones de X x Y, de la factura fisica, y establecela por default.

Si tu entiendes estos datos podras analizar, que cuando el usuario genere su PDF, este lo mande imprimir no se preocupe en hacer muchos procedimiento, si no solamente en imprimir dicho PDF.

One problem you might encounter that many poeple overlook is to make sure you do not have any commas in any of the data fields. This will really mess up a CSV file. You will get unexpected breaks.

thanks adrian and webster, i shall definitely try this out. my users will be very relieved when it works. thanks again

There is a white paper on this - ott-00-0047 "Formatting a Report to Export to CSV". For best results, variables need to begin (left edge touches) grid lines. Turn your grid on with horizontal spacing of 52 and vertical spacing of 8. Make sure to use the alignment tools to align everything exactly. If one field is even one pixel below another, it will go on a new row. If fields do not start on a grid line, they could not show up at all or be staggered into new columns.

Thanks this helped me today.

Back