WAS 5.0.2.X on Intel - What CF are you on (BASE & PME)

cdawes

VIP Member
Just a quick poll out there for anyone running WAS 5.0.2.X on INTEL to see what Fixpack and Cumulative FixPack you're on *BASE & PME). I've heard different stories from JDE as to where they validate Cumulative FixPacks (CF's) or not (some say you can be on the latest CF while other cry the not supported song).

IBM's most current WAS 5.0.2 is BASE 5.0.2.9 and PME 5.0.2.6. JDE's MTR's state BASE 5.0.2.3 and PME 5.0.2.2 There USED TO BE NO REQUIREMENT for the CF on the PME so I've got some WAS servers on BASE 5.0.2.3 and PME 5.0.2.

Ideally it would be great if all the latest CF's were tested an certified but then again we don't live in an ideal world.

Thanks,

Colin

Don't know where you got the suggestion that ORCL/PSFT/JDE didn't ever release MTR's for WAS/JAS, but I can tell you, 1. Don't just apply ANY WAS fix pack until authenticated by the mother ship, 2. There have ALWAYS been MTR's about what PME and Fix pack you should be on for the tools release or SP you are on....and usually they are NOT what IBM prefers for WAS nor the latest and greatest.

Call GSC if you don't believe the above...JAS is VERY picky...moreso than the fat and WTS client brethren...

Regards,

IBM's update strategy for WAS5 is a big piece of garbage. Thank goodness Oracle is going to start recommending Oracle Application Server so IBM will be forced to act like a software company instead of the Keystone Cops.

To begin with, having to patch Base, then Enterprise, then ND is a joke. Then you have fix paks, cumulative fixes, interim fixes, interim security fixes, ad naseum. Get one in the wrong order or patch Enterprise prior to patching Base and you might as well start all over again with spinning the disk. What a joke. IBM stands for I've Been Misled.

Then you have to find the cumulative fix that Oracle specifies in their MTR, which you likely cannot find because IBM retires the fix specified by Oracle and only leaves available the current fix.

Grrr....c'mon guys and get it together.

Totally agree.

I've installed WAS 5.02 numerous times from scratch and it's a bad joke. You're looking at hours of processing as you layer patches on top of patches.

WAS 5.02 is bloatware. I'm going to install and test/verify OracleAS 10.1.2 as soon as it is supported. At least with OracleAS admin access/control via the browser is secured via a defined userid/password out of the box.

We are using WebSphere (WIntel) with base=5.0.2.9, ent=5.0.2.6 & jdk=1.3.1-08 for EOne 8.11 on Windows/Oracle with 8.94_F1 (ok, test only :).

I have not any problems till now.

FWIW I went to a WAS6 class recently at IBM Atlanta and was mightily impressed. They have re-combined the products back into a single install so one doesn't have to be as concerned about Base/Enterprise/ND, etc. It's a start I guess.

I'd agree that WAS 5.0.2.X patch management is a mess at best. However it's better than having to install DB2 (remember 4.0).

The MTR's for WAS have always been available - check the Update Centre by clicking on Tools Releases on the botton right. The next page has the MTR's.

I had a few performance issues recently but resolved them by going to BASE 5.0.2.6 and PME 5.0.2.6 (among other things). If you ask about support for CUME fixes at JDE you'll get different answers depending on who you talk to. I would just install the stuff and test it yourself.

BTW - had a stress test today on an Intel WAS (2 x 3.0 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, SAN backend) with i5 550 Enterprise Server (6000 CPW, 8 GB RAM). AS/400 was at 100% constantly (8 UBE's always running). Simulated user load was about 100 users. Even with the AS/400 floored the Web client was smoking!!!

Colin

WAS 6.0????? Good to see that there may be light at the end of the tunnel. In IBM's defence WAS 5.0 is completely different from WAS 4.0 and is a big improvement in many ways.

Also WAS 5.1 was released quite some time ago - JDE just hasn't certified it. I hope they skip WAS 5.1 and go straight to WAS 6.0.

Glad to see that WAS 6.0 is one product again. What kinda dummy would create an EXPRESS, BASE, ENTERPRISE and NETWORK DEPLOYMENT of one product?

Really a bloody mess. WAS 4.0 was much simpler. Hows the patch management in WAS 6.0?

Check my next *NEW* thread on WAS performance tuning on Intel.

Colin

You never *had* to install DB2, I used SQL Server as a repository. IBM pushed DB2 as a repository so they could gain market share.

But, concerning DB2 you are correct. I am not sure IBM understands how to make software that balances usability and robustness.

Back