SAP CEO reportedly says would consider Oracle merger ?????

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
No - this is NOT a late April Fools joke - this came across the wire about an hour ago :

04/14/05 03:42 AM SAP CEO reportedly says would consider Oracle merger

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- The CEO of SAP AG would consider a merger with rival Oracle Corp. if Oracle chief Larry Ellison would suggest it. "Why should I hang up? I would listen to him. Independence is not an end in itself," SAP CEO Henning Kagermann told German magazine Wirtschaftswoche, Reuters reported. "But some combinations are harder to imagine than others," Kagermann added. SAP shares were last down 0.8%.

OMG - is this the future, where Oracle ends up owning every ERP manufacturer ?

I don't think the justice department or europe would allow this to happen - but it makes you think - is this the way that Oracle is going ? Acquire every ERP vendor out there ?

Hey Jon,

When I read this post this morning, I thought you'd been spoofed. But I just saw the same thing come across on msnbc.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7496920/

Interesting. Is SAP interested in acquiring Oracle or the other way around? Will this list eventually be named jdeorapeoplesapList.com? Yechs!

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Nah...eventually it will be just called the "Microsoft ERP Users Group"....

shocked.gif

Regards,

I know a spoof when I see one - and this wasn't a spoof - it came from Reuters !

I was actually thinking about this, and after some reading on the message boards - the combination of Oracle and SAP would still be smaller than Microsoft. Something to think about there. Not only that, but Oracle and SAP combined would also equal less than 50% or so of the total ERP marketplace - according to Gartner. Therefore, if this was a "merger" - it would more than likely be approved by the justice department and europe.

The issue before with Oracle buying Peoplesoft was never that it would create a monopoly - and Larry might actually make a case that purchasing SAP wouldn't create a monopoly.

Of course you and I know that there isn't anyone else out there realistically today....

Lastly, Oracle is larger than SAP in market cap and substantially larger in revenue - so they would retain control :

SAP = $47bn market cap
ORCL = $62bn market cap
MSFT = $270bn market cap

so a combined SAP and ORCL would be less than half the size of Microsoft.

Who knows - we might see Oracle corner the entire ERP sector over the next year or so. Again, something to think about....

Uh oh, now we know they're merging - when they refute their statements.....

lol

I think that someone needs to place a gag order on SAP's CEO - its pretty funny, thinking about it, since Oracle could actually make a public move now, and they couldn't exactly do a Conway......

Not so fast guys (& gals). Looks like Oracle wasn't quick enough to take action, and Microsoft might beat them to SAP merger:

Posted on Wed, Apr. 27, 2005

SAP links to Microsoft

SAP AG and Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday they had developed a product to link their business software programs in a new cooperative step between the world's leading software producers. The companies said the initiative would help companies change the way their workers access information and analyze data. The project will link SAP software to Microsoft's Office suite, letting users funnel data from SAP software through Microsoft. That should make it easier to integrate SAP processes, such as time management, budget monitoring and expense management, directly into Office. SAP is based in Walldorf, Germany.

This taken directly from http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/technology/11496662.htm

A merger between the two has become very unlikely at this point.
I think it's for the best.

I don't know, I think I'll wait another 14 years before I make my prediction. :)

I was wondered by reading the title and did not look at the posting date ( 2005 :- :p )

Back