Oracle Merger

chemker

Well Known Member
Would like to hear opinions on what will happen to WorldSoftware with the Oracle purchase of Peoplesoft.

Thank you.

I predict all existing packages will remain the same for a while. Oracle will sit on everything for a while and determine where the money is.

Then things will shift, be killed, or be extended.

Shaun

My 2 cents:

1. Oracle will not spin off the JDE product line. Even though they will
receive offers for it.
2. Oracle will not do much in the way of enhancements for the JDE line.
3. There will be steady pressure on customers to move to Oracle.
4. They will say that we can keep the 400 and run Oracle on a linux
partition.

I hope I am wrong...

I believe Oracle will quickly(within 30-60 days) determine, and let industry know what its plans are. Otherwise SAP, and Microsoft will have opportunity for additional sales, as postential Peoplesoft and JDE Customers will sit on fence.

The interesting point may be that EnterpriseOne is a more current product, then either Oracle, or Peoplesoft products,

Big winners in short term will be SAP, and Microsoft, if Oracle does not act fast.

Now for Worldsoftware, could be a nice product for a company like SSA

One of the big industry anaylst firms interviewed me yesterday, and I also asked the analyst a few questions. The analyst said that his opinion was that the JDE products would not be significantly enhanced, but added that his view was not universally shared within his firm.
Unless a client feels that they are near the end of their ERP lifecycle, and that a broad re-evaluation of their ERP solution is needed now for reasons other than the Oracle takeover, my advice is to sit tight and wait and see what happens. Personally, I feel that PSFT did a decent job with enhancing World and EnterpriseOne, and there is a chance that Oracle will do the same.

Regarding World software, all Oracle knows at the moment is that they have a "nice revenue stream" from 3000+ customers paying maintenance. PeopleSoft quickly realized that World was also a useful "niche product" and decided to invest development resources into making it a viable player again. This raised the hopes of long suffering World customers and that, in turn, has raised the bar for Oracle.

No longer will the World community be content with "benign neglect" from their software vendor. If Oracle decides to sit on World software, they will do so at their peril. There are a number of players in the market that would be only too willing to siphon off those maintenance dollars to provide support AND development.

Oracle may quickly realize that "spinning off" World software may be the only way to recoup their initial investment. However, this will only happen if World customers demonstrate that they are unwilling to return to the “bad old days” of World software development. How this plays out remains to be seen, and Oracle can be counted on to sternly test the resolve of World customers. But I’m betting that World customers, having seen the Renaissance, will be unwilling to return to the Dark Ages. Let’s see if Oracle’s vision can be true to its name!

I have a question reagrding the JDE World Software Expiration Date. Our "Software Expiration Date is 03/31/05. Do we have to contact Peoplesoft and get a new software license key or is there a technical work around where we can continue to use the software and not contact Peoplesoft?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Danny [color:#666666] [/color] [color:brown] [/color] [color:white] [/color]

You will need to contact them to get new software license code. I do not
believe thier is a work around for this.

Danny,

You are going to need to get a new software license key.

John Dickey
JDE Financial Systems
Administrator/Programmer/Analyst
White-Rodgers, Division of Emerson
St. Louis, MO
314-577-1466

I have no personal experience, but it is my understanding that simply by owning a legal copy of the software, JDE/PeopleSoft/Oracle is obligated to provide you with SPCs. Supposedly there are people out there that have been doing this for years. (I'd love to hear from someone with personal experience with this). However since the vendor owns the SPC algorithm, I don't think you'll be able to avoid contact.

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I contacted Peoplesoft support and they gave me a new SPC code.
So, I am all set.

Thanks again.

davehyzy <[email protected]> wrote:
I have no personal experience, but it is my understanding that simply by owning a legal copy of the software, JDE/PeopleSoft/Oracle is obligated to provide you with SPCs. Supposedly there are people out there that have been doing this for years. (I'd love to hear from someone with personal experience with this). However since the vendor owns the SPC algorithm, I don't think you'll be able to avoid contact.

Re: SPC\'s

PeopleSoft offered an extended license code service in August, via email. I applied for it and received a code that takes us out to 2010. You might try asking for that option. Before that the license codes were good for two years.

Thanks Ellen.

I did and they gave me one through 2019 yesterday.

Thanks again.

Danny McMillian

esolch <[email protected]> wrote:
PeopleSoft offered an extended license code service in August, via email. I applied for it and received a code that takes us out to 2010. You might try asking for that option. Before that the license codes were good for two years.
Ellen Solch Systems Analyst/Administrator Mike-Sell's Potato Chips, Inc.

Thats great! I see that I had a typo on my original post. 2019 for us too. :eek:

Back