Previous Full Package Did not Install Properly!!

hoganp

I had a situation last week where an update package was deployed to our production environment and it really fouled things up.

Luckly this was the first update package against a full package built and deployed two days earlier.

So I figured that I would just RE-deploy the full update package to both the clients and the Enterprise server and could at least get everyone back to where they were before the update package.

Surprise to me it didn't work at all. I had more problems after re-deploying the full package then when I started.

After many hours we did find out what was missing from the update package but had to rebuild it from the development environment all the way up. Turns out the project being promoted had a lower level project in that had been included in the deployment to the development and CRP environment but had disappeared when the project was deployed to the production environment.

Anyway my biggest concern is that the full package being re-deployed should have at least put things back the way they were.

I am curious if anyone else has ever had this problem?

Thanks for your input.

Hi Pat,

Actually, no because the parent server package gets updated when you build an update package the same way the parent client package gets updated except you don't need to recompress the full.

Just to make it clear for myself what you are saying is the Server package is always being updated automatically when you build an update package and there is no way of going back?

Hi Pat,

That is correct.

If you don't believe me:
1. Assembly a package with one object R0006P.
2. Build package for Server. When it is finish -- check the date/time of the files in the spec directory of the parent package.
3. Deploy the package to the server. You will see that the date/time of the files in both the parent package and the path code\specs directory are the same.

I just finishing doing an update package.

Actually I do believe you I just did a search on update packages on the knowledge garden and found just what you were talking about.

Thanks for the info I don't know how long this has been going on in OneWorld cause I never had to go back.

Much appreciated for the unpleasent surprise of information.

Adrian,

Its my understanding that package updates do update the parent package - except when the parent pkg was compressed in which case the compressed files are not updated. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Larry,

You are correct but you are talking about the client package. The server parent package get updated when you build the update package.

Back