Errors while going into BSFN Design/Build.

Null Value

Well Known Member
I have installed ERP 8.0v and Microsoft VC++ 6.0v on my home PC.

The problem is that when I get into BSFN design I get a popup error which states "Unable to start design tool MSDEV.EXE".

If I go into BSFN build I get the following error:-
"Cannot find NMAKE in the build path.
Build cannot continue without a valid NMAKE.
Possible causes:
MAKEDIR setting in your jde.ini points to the wrong compiler directory.
or
You did not install Visual C++ on your machine."

I can go into VC by itself and compile any C program. But JDE itself does not seem to recognize the default path settings. I tried to install VC ++ before/after installing JDE. I also tried to introduce direct path values in the INI file but keep getting various errors.

My JDE.ini file, in the initial JDE_CG section where the paths are defined shows the following:-

[JDE_CG]
STDLIBDIR=$(COMP)\VC98\lib
TPLNAME=EXEFORM2
ERRNAME=CGERR
TARGET=Optimize
INCLUDES=$(COMP)\VC98\include;$(SYSTEM)\include;$(SYSTEM)\cg;$(APP)\include;$(SYSTEM)\includev
LIBS=$(COMP)\VC98\lib;$(SYSTEM)\lib32;$(APP)\lib32;$(SYSTEM)\libv32
MAKEDIR=$(COMP)\VC98\bin;$(COMP)\Common\MSDev98\Bin
USER=JDE

My VC++ is installed in the default C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98 folder.

Any help in resolving this issue will be appreciated.

I know for sure that you have to intall C++ first and then install JDE with development objects.

Hope this helps

I had this same problem in the past. I eliminated it by making my jde.ini contain the exact paths.

Here is my jde.ini

[JDE_CG]
STDLIBDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib
TPLNAME=EXEFORM2
ERRNAME=CGERR
TARGET=Optimize
INCLUDES=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\include;$(SYSTEM)\include;$(SYSTEM)\cg;$(APP)\include;$(SYSTEM)\includev
LIBS=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib;$(SYSTEM)\lib32;$(APP)\lib32;$(SYSTEM)\libv32
MAKEDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin
USER=JDE

Hope that helps,
~Jen

Shailesh

[JDE_CG]
STDLIBDIR=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib
TPLNAME=EXEFORM2
ERRNAME=CGERR
TARGET=OPTIMIZE
INCLUDES=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\include;$(SYSTEM)\include;$(SYSTEM)\cg;$(APP)\include;$(SYSTEM)\includev
LIBS=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\lib;$(SYSTEM)\lib32;$(APP)\lib32;$(SYSTEM)\libv32
MAKEDIR=D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;D:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin
USER=JDE

Use the above JDE.INI settings and replace the appropriate drive name
for visual c++ in your case.

This should resolve your issue..

Thanks
Shyam Dhage

Jeremy,
I'm sure you are right. That solution was suggested to me by some people and I tried it. Maybe I messed something when I re-installed OW.

Thanks for your help though.

Jlynn,
Thank you so much !! That did it. I am now able to go into VC++ through BSFN design and I am also able to build BSFNs.

Thank you, I appreciate your quick response.

Regards,

Shailesh

Shyam,
I applied similar changes as specified by Jlynn and it has worked.

Thanks to you too for helping me with my issue.

Regards,

Shailesh

Hi JLynn.
I have installed JDE Xe demo in my machine. I instaalled MS Visual Studio 2008.
I did the changes in JDE.INI as you suggested. But still it throwing the same error "Unable to start design tool msdev.exe".

My Current JDE.INI is like below
[JDE_CG]
STDLIBDIR=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
TPLNAME=EXEFORM2
ERRNAME=CGERR
TARGET=Optimize
INCLUDES=c:\Program Files\Micosoft Visul Studio 2008\VC98\include;$(SYSTEM)\include;$(SYSTEM)\cg;$(APP)\include;$(SYSTEM)\includev
LIBS=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008\VC98\lib;$(SYSTEM)\lib32;$(APP)\lib32;$(SYSTEM)\libv32
MAKEDIR=c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008\VC98\bin;c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008\Common\MSDev98\Bin
USER=JDE

Could you please help me to solve this issue. I have been working on this for the past one week.

I will be thankful to you, if you suggest me on this. This installation is very important to me. Thanks in advance....Waiting for your reply

I am pretty sure VS 2008 is not supported in Xe. You have to go back to VS 6.0 for Xe.

Why install such an old release of E1?

Back