Using advanced get to get object from other machine

pdubbelm

I'm trying to copy an object which I developed in Demo Jr. on my notebook to my pc (also Demo Jr.).

First I created an object on my pc with exactly the same name.Then I tried creating a path code on my pc which directs to the correct folder on my notebook. When I perform an advanced get in OMW, no error messages appear, but the object is not fetched from my notebook.

Does anyone have a clue how to solve this? :confused:

Thnx!!!

Hello,

If there is no differences between versions of the system on your computers you could just copy specification files (X:\B7\DEMO\spec) from source to target.
(Do not forget about backup).

Since you have "created" the object with the same name on your PC just save the contents of your spec folder on your PC, move the contents of the spec folder on your notebook to your PC, check the object in on your PC, restore the original contents of your spec folder and check the object out.

The advanced get will fetch objects from a CENTRAL OBJECTS data source. When in design, the specs are stored in the form of TAM (in an indexed file under the specs directory).

To do a get, you must be able to either do a save or do a check-in.

I am not sure if this is possible with demo Jr.

You could define a save location in demo Jr that points to the path code on a deployment server (including the data sources to central objects), change the OMW rules to set the save location to that path code.

After that is done, save the objects and do an advanced get from the workstation.

It is theorically possible to do it.

Otherwise, there is a commercial tool advertised over and over on this site that is said to enable exporting importing objects transparently. Try a search on Boomerang in the list.

Hi,
this check-in, check-out method works fine, however it is not the most reliabla on demo... There must be some problem with central objects stored in MS Access.
I usually do these transfers via Enterprise Srv, I choose from which spec to check-in and to which spec to check-out, and do the folder copies accordingly.
Regards:
Gergely Pongrácz
e-Best, Hungary

Back