Program calling 2 Tables

aronnov

We have currently archived some of our Tables for anything older then 2 years. However it has just been requested that we look at the current file along with the archived file.. so basically I want Program (P4111) to look at tables (F4111, and F4111A). Currently it only looks at F4111. Will I have to change the business view that P4111 calls or will I make the change inside of the program itself. Anyone have any tips on this? The tables are identical other then the data. Any help would be much appreicated.

Hi aronnov,

Some questions:

Q1.) What do you mean exactly:"archived"?

Q2.) F4111A is a custom table? (We don't have this on our XE) Is it your archive table?

Q3.) Vanila P4111 use single table BSVW. What is the situation on your site? Do you use a union BSVW on F4111 and F4111A?

Q4.) Does both table reside in the same data source?

Q5.) If Q4 = No, then do you have an active OCM map for F4111A with the right data source?

Regards,

Zoltán

Well basically any records older then 2 years we purge from the F4111 into the F4111A. Yes the F4111A is a custom table. all the mapping is doen and complete and functional. Like if you wanted to view the F4111A in the UTB you could without a problem. The only thing is the P4111 is only looking at the F4111 and I want to get it to look at the F4111 and the F4111A. Is there anyway to do this? Thanks for the reply too :)

aaron

Oh and no. They use different Data Sources. but the OCM mapping is set up and with the correct data source. It's just 2 tables that are completely identical of course except for the data that I would like to join somehow and call it using a program.

Q1.) What do you mean exactly:"archived"?

Q2.) F4111A is a custom table? (We don't have this on our XE) Is it your archive table?

Q3.) Vanila P4111 use single table BSVW. What is the situation on your site? Do you use a union BSVW on F4111 and F4111A?

Q4.) Does both table reside in the same data source?

Q5.) If Q4 = No, then do you have an active OCM map for F4111A with the right data source?

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi,

The clean method here would be to add your F4111A file in the two business view used in P4111 (V4111A and V4111B). In those BSVW you can link the tables with different keys (depending on your needs).

Then the ledger screen will see your archived records.

Hi aronnov,

The ott-00-0037 "Limits on Join Business Views" states, that if it is a union business view, there is a limit of three tables allowed in the Business View. If the tables exist in different data sources, and a cross data source join is being created, there is a limit of two tables in the business view.

It does not state, that the engine is not possible to handle two table union where the tables exist in different data sources, but maybe the engine can not solve this situation.

Is it a union join, isn't it!

If in your environment is enabled, then try to move F4111A to the same data source, change or inactivate OCM mapping (Log Off/In) and check, how does it work. If it works, then maybe there will be a solution for you using separate data sources F4111A.

Check your log and debuglog anyway and let us know, if you found something!

Regards,

Zoltán

So the basic question comes down to this. HOw do I link two tables that are identical other then the data. No data will be the same. The have no common link. I want to combine them into one table. Is there anyway to do this?

Hi aronnov,

There is a join type, named Union in BSVW Design Aid.
You can change the BSVWs of P4111 forms to be the union on F4111 and F4111A. Check your documentation or help, how to create Union BSVW in OW/E1.

Good luck,

Zoltán

Hi All!
Zoltáns idea about union type business view is fine but I have to warn you because of some problems. The Union can only contain fields from the tables and it is impossible to join a third table (e.g. Address Book) to them.
This means quite a hard limitation as most reports based on a transaction file require a join of some master tables.
I had these experiences when trying to report from Sales Order Details and Sales Order History.
Regards:
Gergely Pongrácz
e-Best, Hungary

I got the union part down and for right now I only need two tables but can anyone link any good documentation on how exactly a union works. What I would like is to just search for one part number and it automatically search both tables for that one part number.

Aronnov,

A union join of two tables as described by Zoltan will do what you want. However I question if you should do this by hosing up an existing OW objects (which is what Zoltan was trying to tell you). You really should create V55xxx and P55xxx objects to do this.

Back