Cross Data Source Limitation on Business Views

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi JDEList,

As far as I know, the maximum number of tables to join in a Business View is 2, if their reside in separate Data Sources.

Did anybody hear, read or know about, that this limitation is changed in any version or Service Pack level?

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi again,

I found again ott-00-0037 document on the KG and it states, that the limit is 2 table.

The sad is, that this documentation was revised on 05/26/2004.
:-(

Did anybody know about, that does JDE/PSFT plan to change this limitation?

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltán,

The restriction is still there in 8.9. My experience involved recreating P80010 (Browse Table Definitions). I linked F9860 (from Object Librarian DS) and F98711 (from Central Objects DS). Attempts to include more tables in the view failed and research on the knowledge garden indicated the reason was due to the two table limit when more than 1 data source was involved. Back to using Fetches in ER to populate the grid :)

Regards,

OK - I'm just brainstorming here, but how often does F98711 get changed? Can't you either 1) table copy it to the Object Librarian DS on a regular basis; 2) UBE copy it to a custom table in the optimal DS and then use that one to build a business view; or 3) what about creating one of those virtual tables (data base view) and build a custom table (in optimal DS) on top of it - then build a E1 business view on that. Seems to me that option 3 could be a one time process that you never have to worry about again...I'm sure we can come up with some warped and convoluted answer for you. :)

Ben again

Thanks Ben but I didn't have an issue. Some extra ER coding and my Table layout app worked fine. I was responding to Zoltan's original post about the general issue of a view from more than 1 data source being restricted to only 2 tables.

Thanks anyway,

Hi Ben,
és Üdv Zoli!
F98711 changes quite often if you create custom tables. And it makes very much sense to store it in central objects data sources - as the table specifications can vary by the path codes...
Storing DD and OL in the same data source could be solved as both data sources contain unique data on the system level.
By the way the limitation seems to have some sense too as with OCM you can create quite strange mappings that would cause some performance issues. My experience with cross datasource views was (B733.1) that they ran correctly if the two data sources were on the same server (e.g. MSSQL) but they made some mistakes with one server and one local datasource (MSSQL and ACCESS) - sequencing didn't work.
Zoltán's issue (I don't know the exact details) can be solved by some programming - although not in the most efficient way...
I wonder if a tricky solution could work... If you map the tables to the same DS temporarily, create the views and map the tables back the designer won't limit you and I think the limitation is not validated run-time.
If somebody tries this, please let me know the result.
Regards:
Gergely Pongrácz
e-Best, Hungary

Back