Version Mods & Upgrades

KJK

Hi List,
We have a version of R42565 that we modified at the version level, ie we did an event rule override at the version level. Here comes my question: What will happen to those custom version level modifications when our CNC group does an upgrade or ESU?
My supervisor is asking me to create a R5542565 and retrofit all of the version level mods into the R55.... program. I get stomach pains just thinking about doing that!! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

KJK
AS400 WinXP OneWorld B7333

First question is which version? If it is a JDE version, then you would probably lose it during an upgrade and possibly with an ESU if that version was in the ESU.

Copy it to a new version not owned by JDE nor with XJDE or ZJDE as the first part of the name if it is a JDE version.

If it is your own version, then you won't lose it in either case.

This is a runnig debate - copy the UBE or override a version or mod the JDE object directly.

They all have there +'s and -'s

It's not as easy to compare one UBE to another. So during an upgrade, it may not be that easy to figure out what changes were made - especially layout changes.

If you modify the JDE UBE, during an upgrade, you'll lose it unless the merge happens to work - and it doesn't always.

If you have a version with overrides, you can copy the changed code to the clipboard, turn the override off, then one again and often times paste in the overridden code.

Good documentation of every every mod is very important so you can retrofit it if you lose it all.

Now, we have a few very highly customized versions of Invoice Print that were modified when we went live in 99 - they have been moved along with each upgrade - and they still work - keeping fingers crossed every upgrade...

Both layout and ER and I believe new sections to boot.

One thought we have had was to make just one mod to Invoice Print - have it call our custom UBE to do the printing from the F42565 file after it populates it and before it prints from it and empties it. But we never took that path yet.

We had a few standard reports that were modified during implementation at the version level (our own versions, not ZJDE, XJDE, etc...) and we had quite a bit of difficulty with them in our first upgrade.

Our standard procedure is now to copy the UBE and modify our own UBE. We had no issues with custom UBE's in our last upgrade.

One risk is that your custom reports will not necessarily benefit from code fixes that are pushed out in ESU's.

Unless changes to the R42565 are major it should work just fine. While you can never predict what will exactly happen I think the odds are with you that it will all be ok.
|
In my opinion there's no sense in doing the extra work until you know for sure it's broken.
|

Back