X4801 Functions

neff

I've finally managed to get the functions

F4801 Begin Document
F4801 Edit Line
F4801 End Document

working in a batch program to update records in F4801... but the Edit Line appears to over write the whole record. Any fields I don't specify are re-set to nulls or zeros. As I only wish to update two fields are there any parameter value combinations that can avoid this?

To be honest - because I don't actually know what other operations Edit Line carries out behind the scenes and I've been told that this functions are the "correct" way to modify F4801.
I only have 2-3 months OneWorld experience so I don't know enough to argue with that position yet.

It's true that Edit Line business functions do a ton of validations and calculations and generally should be used but if you just want to change something simple like W/O Start Date or Request Date or update one of the Category Code columns it is usually safe to directly update the columns. You could also search for other BSFNs that have 'F4801' in their Description....you might find one that will update the columns you want to change. Otherwise, to use the Edit Line function you will have to retrieve all the variables that the function requires from the F4801, change the values you want ot alter, and then call Edit Line.

neff,

I vote with barrier. Just use Table I/O F4801.Update and fill in the keys and the update fields. This is a whole lot easier than the MBFs. You will still need to make sure that the fields you are updating are validated.

Ben again

Let us know which two fields you wish to update and I can give you an idea as to the Business Apps impact of such a change. From the Apps angle we would normally recommend the reverse approach from the techie angle - we prefer the use of the Business Functions supplied as we don't want our data junked!

However, in this case, if it is just two fields then you may get away with it.... But always check with an experienced Apps Consultant to make sure. You might be suprised about what can go wrong....

Neff,

This reply may be a little late.

I'm not familiar with the business functions you mentioned, but you might consider reading the appropriate record(s) from the appropriate table(s) and use this data, in conjunction with the two changes you wish to make, to populate the business function parameters.

Just a thought that may be of use.

Back