Address Book search capability

BBritain

VIP Member
OK gang, I need help on this one.

The Address Book has the capability of the user inputting a partial string of the alpha name into the field control above and the grid populates with all records that contain that partial string somewhere in the compressed description (after converted to uppercase, etc.). I can even recreate this in a test APPL quite easily.

Now I want to do the same type of thing in Item Master by searching the compressed search string in there. Bottom line, can't seem to do it.

In troubleshooting, I notice the address book function creates a SELECT statement with "WHERE (ABDC LIKE '%OUT%' )" and the Item Master SELECT statement includes "WHERE ( IMALN = '%OC%' )"

Can anyone tell me why different WHERE clauses are generated, and if/how I can achieve the same thing with Item Master compressed description (ALN)?

Ben again

You have to set the Wild Card Display true. Go on the property of the field and click on Filter and check Wild Card Display = True

Are you suggesting that the Wild Card Display alters the SQL statement WHERE clause from using '=' to using 'LIKE'?

Whether or not, the field is already set up as a filter with the display wild card set.

I have written several applications using the variable alias 'DC' and other variables with 'seemingly' the same characteristics. When I use the DC variable, I can get the WHERE clause of the SQL to use 'LIKE'. If we can find out how or why this happens - then I think it will be valuable to everyone of us. This will allow us to find all records where the filtered value is a substring anywhere in the field - beginning, middle, or end.

Ben again

Just as a follow up. PeopleSoft customer support confirmed that the data dictionary item DC is hard coded in the kernel to generate the 'LIKE' in the WHERE clause of SQL statements. You can get the same effect, for any dd item, by putting '*' around any substring in the QBE area of a grid.

Ben again

Hi
I am in similr problem..Is it possible to this in Parent/Child Form?
Like searching in middle, start or end. Eg: *ball*

Let me know
Thanks

Back