some jde questions... pls help

ekben

Well Known Member
i m new to jde. pls help. thanks alot
1)what are these check in/check out for in batch version?
2)version is for us to custom the behavior of batch/interactive application, rite?
3)we can have many different type of version(contains a set of spec) to cater to our different business requirement, rite?
4)is version built by using business function, data structure, process option? y?
5)why there are many server around? central/workstation/logic/enterprise? are they physically exist or just a logical one? why we need so many server around?
6)i don't get the statement as below :-
"if the version specification do not currently reside on your workstation, the central objects data source(server) performs JITI to transfer the spec to your workstation."
my doubt is y version spec need to be in workstation?

I suggest you hire a consultant to do some basic JDE training. Alternatively, RTFM!

I suggest you go to the Knowledge Garden Documentation Center for in-depth detail on OneWorld Setup and Configuration or get some training. In a nutshell...

>>1)what are these check in/check out for in batch version?

In Object Management Workbench (OMW), you check out (to modify) and check in (to save to deployment server).

>> 2)version is for us to custom the behavior of batch/interactive application, rite?

Correct.

>>3)we can have many different type of version(contains a set of spec) to cater to our different business requirement, rite?

Correct. Versions can be simple changes, for instance processing options or complex changes where you override the template the version is based on.

>>4)is version built by using business function, data structure, process option? y?

Just copy a default XJDE version and you have your new version. If all you are doing is processing option changes, you may want to just keep the XJDE version.

5)why there are many server around? central/workstation/logic/enterprise? are they physically exist or just a logical one? why we need so many server around?

So it can run on any platform. At minimum, like we run here you need a Physical Deployment Server (DS) and a Physical Enterprise Server (ENT) plus your workstations. The DS stores applications specifications and programs to install the application on a client PC, citrix box or terminal server. Your ENT can act as a logic server as well.

>>6)i don't get the statement as below :-
"if the version specification do not currently reside on your workstation, the central objects data source(server) performs JITI to transfer the spec to your workstation."
my doubt is y version spec need to be in workstation?

If on a OneWorld client, an application is requested to be run locally (on the clients PC), and the application does not exist on the client's PC, the application needs to be fetched from the DS. This is called a JITI (Just in Time Installation).

Grant.

Ekben,

MagarG kindly answered your questions but honestly without the CNC theory behind all this you are really going to get yourself in trouble. That is not ment to be an insult. It is just that we have all been through this and we know that in order to maintain JDE you really need to understand the platform. It is not difficult once you understand it but it is very delicate and one mistake can really make a mess of things.

So I will echo what has been said. You need to get on some training or at the least read all the CNC manuals. Another approach would be to hire a CNC consultant specifically to work with you and train you. Not all consultants are good trainers as well, but if you can get access to one for a week or two that is the magic combination. Someone who has done the work, seen everything in real life and can train you one-on-one.

Good Luck and Regards,

Back