Barcode printing problem

husni

Well Known Member
Hi list,

We have a report with barcode font 3 of 9. We have been printing this report locallay and it is working fine.

Now we are trying to submit this report to the server and print automatically. The report prints automatically but barcode is not printed. Instead of barcode, it prints the concatenated field value eg. *20649*. The printer we are using is HP LJ 5000 GN and it is defined in OW as a PCL printer.

If anyone out there has faced this problem, I would like to hear how it was resolved. Thanks in advance.

Husni,

It works locally because you are printing from the PDF and that brings
down the font. How do you have the printer defined?PCL, Post Script. I had
the same problem. I had to load the 3 of 9 font to my AS/400 and change a
setting or defintion on the printer. I will look through my old notes to
find what I did. You are not using a AS/400 but it might get you looking
in the right direction.

Steve
AS/400 V5R2 ESJDE OW SP20 - 3,NT DS, Citrix, Agile.....etc

I remember facing this same exact issue several years ago. Back then the client was still on 733.2. We never did get it to work on the server, only locally. We solved the problem by purchasing Create!Print.

Maybe the fonts were missing on the server?

Regards,
Alexander Pastuhov
Pastuhov Consulting Pty. Ltd.
E-Mail: [email protected]
Mobile: 0414 453 433
WWW: http://www.pastuhov.com.au/index.htm
CNC Consulting and Software Tools for OneWorld®
Check out our Special Offers at:
http://www.pastuhov.com.au/special_offers.htm

RESTRICTIONS ON USE REPRODUCTION OR DISCLOSURE
The information contained in this email and attachments (if any) is intended
to be communicated only to the person or persons named as addressees.
Copyright subsists in this email. If you are not named as an addressee you
are prohibited from using, reproducing, or disclosing the information in
this email and the existence of this email itself. The information in this
email may also be confidential and subject to professional privilege.
If so, all rights are reserved by the owner of those rights. If you are not
a named addressee please advise us immediately and destroy all copies of
this email in your possession or control. Pastuhov Consulting Pty. Ltd.

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 11:50 PM
Subject: Re: Barcode printing problem

client was still on 733.2. We never did get it to work on the server, only
locally. We solved the problem by purchasing Create!Print.
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=61374
these messages, login to http://www.jdelist.com/forums, click Control Panel,
then click Edit by "Subscribe / Unsubscribe from receiving board posts by
email, change message notifications, etc." and adjust your subscription
preferences. JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

We also had this problem but corrected it by installing the font on the server itself (Win 2000 Server). Once we installed the font on the server, all worked well for us. Try that and see if that helps.

Franklin

Have the truetype font installed on your Enterprise Server. If you still cant get it to work have a look at the application P986166 under the menu GH9013 (Printers). You might have to do some setup there. I have never done this setup myself...so cant help you out there.

If you print PostScript, this will work on your ES if you put the font in the resource/tryuetype directory.

For PCL, you have to purchase a soft font, install it on the printer, and use the barcode mapping app off of GH9013 to map the TTF to the PCL softfont so OW can use it.

You did purchase a PCL softfont, didn't you?

Search the forum archive from jdelist.com, I go into this in MUCH greater detail a couple of years ago, including the OTI numbers and KG resources on Barcoding.

The font is already installed in ES and it is already there in resource / tryuetype directory. When I view the report from the submitted job, I can see the bar code and I can print it from there. But when I try to print without viewing the report, the barcode is not printing. I change the setting to PCL and PostScript but the result is the same. What are the setup I should do in P986166 under the menu GH9013.

Go someplace like riversedge.com and buy a PCL softfont for Code39 (I think it is in the UNIX font pack for PCL) and then download it to your printer using the utility that comes with the font.

Then, in the barcode app on GH9013, set the Truetype font (probably "BC C39 3-to-1 Medium" if you use the TTF shiped with OW) and map it to the printer you are using as a PCL font, setting the symbol set and font ID for the PCL font from River's Edge. I used Symbol set 5U and font -6b0

I've done this, and PCL printing worked fine from the server, BUT the PCL softfonts from this source are NOT scaleable.

Have fun!

BC C39 3-to-1 Medium font is shipped with OW. Can't we use that font? Is it a must to buy the soft font. (I need to make sure to convince my top guys.)
I have seen some poor documentation in the OW enterprise report writer manual.

For PCL, you need a printer-resident soft font. For PostScript you don't.

These usually cost less than $200.
I've used http://www.riversedge.com/ as a source.
Tthey were less than this, about $150.
The code 39 PCL fonts are in the bundle marked:
"UNIX/DOS HP PCL (PCL Softfonts) "

You have to use a program of theirs to download them to the printer.
Some printers will not keep the font resident after a printer power-cycle, so keep in mind that you may have to re-download them after a printer power cycle.

Not sure what you mean by this. How would you actually map the TTF to the PCL so OW could use it? Please elaborate on this. In OW we see how we can use P98616 to define the printers and modify them or P986168 to modify the Output Streams. More info would me much appreciated. Thanks.

Use P986166 on menu GH9013. The app is called "Bar Code Support"
On the "Add" screen, select a printer and a Trutype font.
Select the PCL radio button, and then type in the Symbol set and Font name into the boxes. From now on, when printing to that printer, the TTF will map to the Symbol set and font name you picked.

Hi Steve, Can you share what setup and setting changes in AS400? I have a problem with printing barcode using JDE UBE. I'm able to print barcode using PDF (ADOBE) but Print Immediate doesn't work. I assume that printer in AS400 is not setup properly.
Thanks.
Ki

Back