Remote CNC Anyone?

jolly

VIP Member
Hi All,

This has been discussed before:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=21104&page=&view=&sb=&o=

It has been asserted by some that everything can be done apart from package builds on the deployment server, where some errors may occur that do not occur when connected locally. However others asserted that using a remote tool such as VNC is fine for operating on the deployment server.

What's the current status? I cannot find anything definitive on the KG from JDE.

What about using Terminal Services on the Deployment Server for remote access (Not TSE, just Terminal Services on a regular NT Server)

TIA for any coments!
JohnO

Actually

Package builds work fine on a Terminal Server - even while development is being performed

However, its HOW you set up the terminal server thats important.

Hi JohnO,

I have been testing the Remote CNC stuff as well, just to prove the JDE consultant wrong that it will work. I have successfully built and deployed 2 full packages this way. Here is how we do it.

I dial in from home using PCAnywhere to get to my workstation, (I have a cable modem). I then use Alteris software to Remote Control the deployment server. It is a little slower then working on the deployment server itself but it gets the job done and I don't have to drive to work in the middle of the night just to click twice and then leave.

Hope this helps
Stephanie

Hey there.

I have been using VNC on the deployment server for the last year with no major problems. Only issue I have had so far has been during package assembly/builds. When clicking thru the individual screens, they can sometimes get messed up. But I have used the express option quite sucessfully.

Hope this helps.
Harry

I have been using NetMeeting to remote control the deployment server for the last several years without issue. The beauty of NetMeeting is that it is free. Additionally, it is included on all windows version 2000 and above. It can be downloaded for W9x and NT4.0.

We have been using VNC, PC-Anywhere for the last few years and both work great, VNC gets the edge since it's free. We have even used GoToMyPc and it works really good, but cost a hundred or so a year but works through firewalls. Every now and then you run across something that can't be done through remote, but for the most part everything we do is done remotely.

VNC = Virtual Network Computing, developed by ATT laboratories is similar to PC Anywhere. Freeware remote connectivity software easily found by typing VNC in any search engine (google). Can be downloaded at www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ or www.realvnc.com/.

Thanks to everyone who uses a filter to not auto-reply out of office to every message posted!

I live 7 blocks from work.... :)

But I do use Terminal Services and VNC. Both have worked fine.

NIck

Hi All
Thank U for giving good ideas on remote development. Can anybody elaborate on this like what are all the works can be carried out through remote location and how to carry out this etc.
Thanks In Advance for the reply

Regards

Hi,

I've just setup a 'bank' of desktops running Windows 2000 Terminal Services, which are primarily going to be used for development by remote users. Made changes to the jde.ini file and tested access to all the development tools - works fine. But I found on all the desktops that when you run a UBE and override locations, you don't get the option to run anything LOCAL! Is there a way around this?

Regards,

Sanjeev

I use Windows 2000 terminal services in remote administration mode...this allows 2 (I believe) concurrent connects....it's also much quicker than VNC (though I do use VNC too occassionally).

Setting up Windows 2000 terminal services is dead easy...you just add it in through control panel (Add/Remove programs).

However to complete all the usual CNC type functions such as package builds on a deployment server you do need to edit the JDE.INI and add the following....

OWDEVELOPER=TRUE

Into the [DEBUG] section

I think this feature was only available from a fairly recent of One World though.

Hi Jon, forgive me if I phrase a dumb question as this is out of my area but:

When you say "Package builds work fine on a Terminal Server " you mean Deployment Server is running Terminal Services as opposed to Windows Server TSE or Citrix Server?

What is the "How" in the server setup then?

But also important to us (this is a bid) will JDE support this? I cannot find anything on the KG specific on this and I don't want to phone them up until I've got my facts straight.

Thanks everybody for the input!
JohnO

Yep, create a new LOGIC data source (GEORGE, LOCAL2, PACKERS,...), anything
but LOCAL. The select statement specifically excludes LOCAL when it looks
for logic data sources, if you have terminal services turned on.

-MEW

Jon,

Could you be a little more specific on what you mean by "its HOW you set of the terminal server thats improtant". Any special settings? Anything to look out for? Anything to avoid?

Thanks

We have been using a product called DameWare to provide remote support. It works very well. You can start/stop/install/remove the service with each session. So you could fire off a full package build then stop the service and 12 hours later (or whatever) you can have it start the service and check on the progress. Zero overhead.

However, I do NOT do package builds on the deployment server. I have a PC specifically for that purpose and nothing else. I like to keep things Pristine whenever possible.

I also use Dameware and/or PCAnywhere. I find PCAnywhere to be a bit faster but sometimes the host is lost for some reason so I connect with Dameware. The only issue that I have seen with PCAnywhere is during the Package builds the icons get messed up. I do all my builds in the Express menu.

Windows XP and Server 2003 both have a more enhanced terminal services. Both allow the remote control of the console (session 0), map your local printers and drive mappings. Also allow true color and higher resolutions. You might want to consider these as well for a remote CNC PC. I run 5 developers on XP workstations this way and it works great even at low bandwidth.

Back