SAP very happy for JDE/PSFT

• Thread starter jdeproffesional
  • Start date

jdeproffesional

SAP , will benefit from the JDE/PST merge, today market news in germany announced that the merger could turn out to be beneficial for SAP. Believe it or NOT SAP already started attacking JDE clients in Europ. Basically the administration management and time frame for PST and JDE to merge will help SAP and will bring SAP a very strong business CASE for JDE clients. SAP stocks are going up and the major big JDE clients are considering SAP like BP(bretish petrolioum) and Shell.
What an intresting competetion we will see soon in the US market.

Does anyone out there have any comparison studies or white papers detail
functional and technical differences between JDE & Peoplesoft?

Robin
JDEdwards Applications Consultant

Robin Morris, CPA
AMG, Inc. JDE Consulting

I think you will find that SAP actually said it would not effect them in the short term (as they are both competitors) and they adopted a wait and see attitude for the integration efforts for the medium/long term.

In terms of LARGE clients such as Smith-Klien-Beachham, BRITISH Petroleum and others, almost all have adopted a mixed mode operation based on divisional or regional requirements. After all who wants to spend 20 Million GBP implementing SAP in a 1 million revenue division!!

I think that next time I will reply to [email protected] .......

Cheers for the humour though!

On a more serious note though - if JDEC/PSFT give confusing messages to the pipeline then indeed they may loose ground to other ERP vendors - which may not automatically be SAP....We will have to wait and see how well implemented the merger is!

Re: RE: SAP very happy for JDE/PSFT

Go to jdeuser.com and read the news , they mentioned everything we need to know about the merger and especialy the HUGE technical dificulties, the two products are totaly different in technical issues. JDE is 100 micrsoft driven , PSFT is totaly away from microsoft.

Only - both web driven, both have conectors with WebMethods......
Not that so different really.....;-)

Here is one of the quotes....
=======================
SAP issued a statement to say that the merger was unlikely to affect it.

"PeopleSoft and JD Edwards were already competitors of SAP," it said. "Their combination does not significantly change the competitive field and, therefore, has no major impact on SAP. Acquisitions always bring with them difficult challenges of integration and customer satisfaction. Otherwise, we have to await further developments to see if the PeopleSoft-JD Edwards combination will have any other effects on the market."

===========================================

For Gods sake , look at people soft archtecture, and the RM COBOL compilers they use. look deeply in the systems, many professionals said that the merger can be done but its gonna be a so difficult , a hell of a nightmare. dont look from outside, it looks nice from out side and easy, but if you go deeper into JDE C++ functions and peoplesoft RM cobol functionality, you will understand what i mean by DIFFICULT.

Ahh I see.... you are looking at this as a true techy and I completely agree that if you are going to rewrite COBOL code into a OO language would be a nightmare. I also agree with other posters that the COBOL batch engine does not stand up to the JDE/Platform engines (I am sure can dig up a few bench marks on this!)

However try and think of this as an EIA person and how you'd integrate the two, would you REALLY do a rewrite or make the interface the same and use an EAI tool to link the touch points??

Oh and as an old techy I DO understand difficult - inside and out.

I hope that others join in this interesting debate.....!!

:)

Robin,
unless you can actually get too a person in a consultancy that uses both - you will find it difficult to get an unbiased view of the TRUE functionallity of both.

None of them (thats ANY ERP vendor) really wants to give out the real functionality of the software since they want to ensure they have a little up the sleeve to beat the competition with.

The information I have is a little dated 1999-2000 so to match the current functionality would be not of great use.

If you look at some of the comparason sites
www.checkspex.com
www.knowledgestorm.com
www.technologyevaluation.com
you will probably get a good starting point.

Are you looking to write a "request for tender" or something like that or was it just out of interest?

Oh I took a look on the PS website and there is enough to start infering what its got - oh but I have a light edge that one of my friends works for them, so I cannot share him!

Best regards

Peter

I hear that Peoplesoft will be phasing out COBOL code in their product. If they are going to merge it with OW, then that's what they going to have to do.

It won't be an easy merger since the two products are very different technically.

Guys - to keep trying to remove the rumour - direct from the PS web site .....

PeopleTools 8.42 supports the following application servers:

Windows 2000
Windows NT4
AIX 4.3, 5.1 and 5.2
HP-UX 11 and 11.11(i)
Solaris 7,8 and 9
Tru64 Unix 5.1

PeopleSoft Internet applications support most industry-leading database management systems:

Microsoft SQL Server
IBM DB2
IBM DB2 UDB for OS390
Oracle
Sybase
Informix

PeopleTools 8.42 supports the following web browsers on Windows platforms (some combinations may not be available, for a complete list please contact PeopleSoft):

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and later
Netscape Communicator 4.7x (also on Linux and Unix)
Netscape Navigator 6.2x
PeopleSoft supports the following web servers with PeopleTools 8.42:

BEA WebLogic Server 6.1
IBM WebSphere Server 4.0
PeopleSoft supports the WebLogic and WebSphere servers across the following operating systems:

Windows NT4
Windows 2000
HP-UX 11 and 11.11(i)
AIX 4.3 and 5.1
Solaris 7 and 8
Tru64 Unix 5.1
Red Hat Linux 7.2
PeopleSoft packages and supports two Java servlet engines with PeopleTools 8.42:

BEA WebLogic Server 6.1
IBM WebSphere Server 4.0

Regards

Peter

Hi All,
I think the merger will benifit the JDE more. What made PS buy JDE is not the just module functionality alone, but how well its integrated and worked technically. If they were just interested in the functionality of JDE modules, it is not a nightmare for them to built on PS. I think PS would integrate its HR module with JDE and use under its name.

One last word - The merger was really a one to show up the revenues($$$), which is what at the end of the day matters!!

bye,
sathya.

Hi list,
We talk about the competition between SAP & PSFT/JDE. Of course, statistics say that JDE/PSFT stand in 2nd slot together in many respects. But, I foresee that Oracle (which is in 3rd position right now) is gonnabe the best benefited one in this race. Any comments?

Well, The big question is how JDE clients will deal with the new product, many JDE clients working on WORLD softwatre , they are in real trouble now. same to people soft, but what makes me feel bad about it , is that people soft did not issue anything to thier cleints about a new product to migrate to, and thin k about as a peoplesoft loyal employee or director... why should PST recondition the product entirely PST upper management has the same old problem as JDE managment , jde problem was AS400 and PST problem is COBOL. both are history and very old rusty software and hardware "AS400". so dont expect PST to accept and change. But also keep in mind Microsoft is the main leader in technology, so keep watching microsoft guys !!!

The AS/400 is not old and rusty and it is certainly not history. There are companies that are running Linux, citrix farms and web applications on the Iseries (it's not your fathers AS/400). Microsoft runs their business on the Iseries. People on World who wish to retain their investment in their software should upgrade but not every company has a compelling business reason to do so.

AS400 very old and rusty!! Surely you jest!!

Apart from the fact that JDE standardized some core technology on IBM software that in fact runs far superior on the iSeries than ANY application developed to run on MS, there is an interesting comment I read from a consulting firm with experience with both JDE and PS. It mentions that as for PS, the AS400 is not the platform of choice.

Will the iSeries go away? Maybe, maybe not. If it does, our staff and users will suffer for it (cost, training, performance, reliability). At least until the new technology is settled in and accepted as normal.

I will be horrified if the DB of choice becomes Oracle. Sum up the poor performance and reliability issues of an MS platform with the excruciating painful cost of Oracle (plus a DBA). Ouch! Maybe if Linux becomes viable it won't be so bad since we would have to pay our dues to Microsoft.

Everything mentioned above is opinion based on my 16 years of AS400, 6 years of OneWorld CNC (with Central Objects on Oracle for 5 years). Still, I agree it is biased opinion.

Regards,
Doug

Greetings. I've only been working in the JD Edwards business for 7 years and actually started out selling AS/400's to JD Edwards users. One thing is clear, and not that everyone already knows this, PeopleSoft will not....WILL NOT...invest any dollars to write RPG code software programs for the AS/400. And why should they. They have been very successful with NT and Unix. Their solutions come "out of the box" web enabled and regarded as top of the line software (for HR and Financials that is). However, those customers who look to getting off the AS/400 will be increasing their IT staff. If you don't believe me, why not evaluate a customer who was on the AS/400 and decided to go with NT because "the AS/400 is old technology". Write to me and I'll give you some names and numbers to call! Okay, IBM has done a lousy job of marketing the AS/400, but reality says the AS/400 is bulletproof. JD Edwards has sold out the World / AS/400 / IBM crowd. If I were IBM (which I'm not) I'd be furious at JD Edwards. They just introduced a new AS/400 for JD Edwards users. Until an annoucement comes out from PeopleSoft / JDE, those boxes will be collecting dust and possibly become extinct.

Allright enough ranting and raving here. Bottom line, I'm trying to align my business with other ERP vendors who target Small to Mid-Range companies (remember, the ones that JD Edwards use to care about). These systems run off the AS/400 and are an acceptable alternative to JDE (if it comes to that). JDE / PeopleSoft won't drop maintenance on World. They might increase it again, but they know there is too much invested in World and the AS/400.

This will prove to be a very interesting Focus next week. However, no real answers will come from JDE there. I wish and hope some answers come out. If anyone from JDE / PeopleSoft reads this...please help us out and let us know what your plans are for World and the AS/400.

Yours truely,

A Concerned Business Partner

Concerned Business Partner,

I hope it's not a bleak as you describe for all the AS400 customers. I haven't looked into the PSoft product much, but an earlier poster mentioned COBOL. The 400 will run COBOL!! Wouldn't it be great if PSoft could port their product to the iSeries to keep the existing customers happy?

In any case, it would be an important move on their part to keep as much of the JDE customer base happy for as long as possible.

I can hope, right?

Doug

This merger is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I operated a
JDE consulting partnership up until a year ago and now operate a PeopleSoft
consulting partnership with many of the same consulting resources. The
transition was fairly easy and PeopleTools operates very similar to the JDE
Developers Tool Set, which are hear is going away once they develop all the
hooks in OneWorld for PeopleTools.

The real losers here though are the World clients and users. I understand
that PeopleSoft is not planning to continue indefinite support for World and
are even thinking to try to sell the source and system off as a separate
company, which could be the best thing to happen for World clients who never
intended to convert to OneWorld.

Well for better or worse it's happened and it's up to us to champion this
new product help the PSFT/JDEC union work for all our benefit.

Cheers! and hopefully few jeers.

Don R. Simpson
General Manager & Partner, SSC Inc.
Stratagem Systems Consulting, Inc. - A Division of Capital Alliance
Holdings, LLC
Certified Optio Partner - www.optiosoftware.com
PeopleSoft Allainace Service Partner - www.peoplesoft.com
3333 Warrenville Rd., Suite 200 # 73
Lisle, IL 60532
Phone: (630) 961-5662
Fax: (630) 961-5644
Email: [email protected]