jstooge

VIP Member
Re: WebSphere 4 License

Dan...

Are you getting WAS on E-Bay?? "A few grand"??!!?? The license only,
for a single processor edition of WAS 4.0 is over 10K. Most people at
least have a 2-way box...so 20K. That DOES not include maintenance and
support...I do realize that pricing for the license for WAS 5.0 is
different, but can you run 5.0 with your version of OW??

If you really do have a way of getting WAS for a few grand that includes
rights to upgrade and full support of the product, plus the ability to
install it on as many servers with as many processors as I want for a few
grand...please do share... :)

Just a point of clarification, the Technology Foundation, while more
pricey at the initial outlay of cash, provides upgrades, support, and as
many web servers you want to install with as many processors on
each...providing you are using them for OneWorld/ERP X purposes only.
While I might agree that if you only need one WAS server with a single
processor because you don't need fault tolerance, load balancing, test
web server for JD Edwards upgrades etc., that it might be cheaper to go
the single license from IBM route...for most who want 2 or more 2-X way
web servers, clustering, load balancing, etc., the 90K starts to look
awfully good.

Hoping that I can scam a few copies of WAS for a couple of grand....

Jim

Of course $90k buys an awful lot of Citrix licenses........ <ahem>

Thought I'd plug that in there for those JDE'ers that still contend WAS is cheaper than Citrix. I guess if you've got more than 200 concurrent users, then WAS starts to beat Citrix.

Anyone seen the Technical Foundation announcement yet ? I heard it included UDB licensing as well - or was I climbing up the wrong tree. If so, it would certainly be worth it - but if its just WAS, then its a tougher sell still.

By the way, Jim - Single Server Edition Websphere 4.0 is only "a few grand" - and it runs OW fine for the licensing. The Enterprise edition costs the $10k per CPU, but it doesn't seem to offer anything technical beyond the Single Server - except of course for the configuration held at the DB level rather than through an XML config.

However I might be completely wrong....don't flame the messenger......!

BTW - whens that beer ?

90K? Not even in Canadian $$$. Better check those numbers. I think you're getting hosed.....eh? We sell JDEdwards and implement it and that number seems WAY off.

As for CItrix? Well I love it and have always supported it. On the other hand the Web client has been an evolution. Now since SP20 it's finally there and quite frankly you DON'T HAVE A CHOICE. Check the Tech Flash that says that for ERP9.0 SP3 that WAS will be a required prerequisite.

The Tech Foundation was announcd last year. It includes WAS 4.0.1, WPS Extend and DB2 UDB. You have to pay maintenance on those products that you decide to use.

The Tech Foundation is INCLUDED with ERP 8.0 and ERP 9.0 so why would you then go out and spend 50K on Citrix?

For those clients not on ERP8.0 they can and are recommended to purchase the Tech Foundation.

If you're a Customer BUY the Tech Foundation. If you're a BP make your customers but the Tech Foundation.

Anyone that wants more info on the Tech Foundation send me a personal email. I'll be in Denver at the Tech Consultant Forum next week and also at FOCUS aka Quest Global.

Colin

We need to purchase Tech Foundation but are a little reluctant because of cost. I just got back from the Quest Conference and as was earlier stated, everyone will have to buy at least WebSphere at some point as all Security is going to be run though it in the future. We are going to wait to go to ERP 9.0 until it catches up with SP22 for the web enhancements.

I am also from Canada and I would love an estimate of the cost for Tech Foundation so that I can start preparing a business proposal for my boss.

We need to go to Xe SP22, Update 7.0, Tech Foundation, Collaborative Portal with BI and SQL 2000 all in one upgrade! Sounds like fun!

Steve

BTW - $90k USD is the "list"

No idea what discounts are available. It seems absolutely NO-ONE really knows the pricing behind the foundation - and JDE were very confused about the pricing at Quest.

If anyone has an idea, I think many of us would be interested in hearing it.

Hi Jon,

We looked into it a few months ago. Our friendly JDE sales rep quoted us the jaw-dropping, eye-popping, price of $600,000 for an enterprise tech foundation upgrade. We spent our money with IBM instead and just bought Websphere.

I know that this is probably an old, dead, worn out thread, but one of the key issues to consider (from Q Global) is that ERP 9 is due out in the fall (?), and that the security that runs that bad boy will be WebSphere security (additionally, the JDE tech I talked to said that we are then likely talking WebSphere 5, not 4),

It seems like some of the confusion (smokescreen?) on WAS price is because our friendly, neighborhood JDE sales folks are cutting some deals with their customers that leave the WAS price up in the air (our salesman gave us the talk...). Anyone else see that..?

Not quite dead yet...I think we have a way to go on this one... :).

So, here is what I have so far from our software guy...

Note: this is in Canadian funds and it is NOT finalized so please don't hold me to this.

Tech Foundation
List around $49K - we hope to get at least 50% markdown ($25K)

This includes WebSphere 4, Collarborative Portal and DB2.

Maintenance Licensing
WebSphere - around $1000/year
Portal - around $2700/year -don't ask me why this price is so outta whack
DB2 - don't know, we won't be using it

Now, also note that we are a small shop and this is "Solution" pricing for 65 named users or 40 concurrent users plus 100 internal users.

From what I understand, IBM and JDE have the maintenance agreement that should give us the upgrade to WS 5.0 if we continue with the JDE maintenance. I will have to make sure of this when we finalize the purchase.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Back