Reporting Tools

czorbach

I am new to JDE and am looking for some user friendly report writing tools. I am used to working with PeopleSoft and Systems Union (Sun) which have good reporting tools that the end users can use themselves (without going to an IT dept) - they also allow for seamless exporting to Excel.

I purchased JDEdirect and have been using it with Crystal and Access. It is not bad but definitely has its limitations.

Any advise would be appreciated.

World 7.3 (in the process of upgrading to OneWorld XE)

JDE OneWorld is having Reporting tool Called Enterprise Report Writer(ERW).It is very easy and user friendly.But it also having some limitations(Eg.Cross Tab Report)
We can go for Cognos, a third part tool which can be integrated with JDE for Report Creation.I am also looking for details regarding Cognos With JDE.
If anybody got experience in that please share your knowledge.

Regards

Cognos Reporting Tools

We are currently implementing the Cognos Analytics applications for JDE, rather than using Cognos directly on the JDE database. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone else who's taking this approach to share experiences.

Regards
Nanda

I have spent the last couple of months implementing COGNOS. There is quite a significant amount of work involved to get to the stage where you can start to deploy the product to users. We found that training reasonably smart users on COGNOS was easy, we then had to develop training material to teach people how JDE stores information and we are still running workshops broken into Finance/Purchasing/Cost Control/Materials Management. The biggest single piece of work is to get the COGNOS Catalogu right, I think for our first release we spent about 15 man days. We have gone initially for a limited number (35) Impromtu users and we are looking at moving to the DW product and web front end by the end of the year. If you want any more detailed information email me.

Mike.

My company has implemented an Ad Hoc reporting solution where you can use pretty much use any relational reporting tool to get at the 4,500+ business views and 2,500+ tables that are stored within OneWorld. It is not a reporting tool, but a process in which we extract, transform, and make accessible the data into a form which makes sense to the business end users. You use your own business reporting tools!

If any one cares to know, please reply to me. I have put together a whitepaper on Ad Hoc Query and Reporting in JD Edwards OneWorld.

Good Luck!

We ETL the JDE balances at month end into our Essbase system. This tool is invaluable to us as it supplies all of our management reporting and source for analysis.

But since you cannot put transactional data into an OLAP database, I am searching for a reporting tool to get at the data in JDE. We need to be able to drill down to transactions as well as report on our data prior to it being loaded into Essbase.

hi Mike

I am looking forward to know more about Cognos Usage in JDE and how to install and Configure with JDE.
Also our company already got Cognos for their Data Ware housing Solutons.Can U please let me know how to configure Cognos with Demo (StandAlone) version of JDE to practice?So,that we can then proceed to real time installation.
Hope U can give me a white paper on this.

Regards

I suggest you take the Enterprise Report Writer & the Financial Report Writer classes. While these report writers can be easy to use, they also offer extremely advanced reporting capabilities. There was a useful article in the User Group (Quest) Magazine (Q&A) last fall which gave step by step directions to create a custom trend report... Check it out.

Ken, There are a number of fundamental advantages to using COGNOS over JDE ERW, a couple of them are:
1. There is no easy way to stop people with access to ERW from using Event Rules on a section. Unfortunately Event Rules can cause all sorts of chaos.
2. Quite often you want to add/change business views in COGNOS, in order to do this on JDE you would have to allow users acces to table design, another security nightmare!
3. On most JDE setups you develop reports in a DEV environment and then deploy the report to PROD. This normally has significant lead times whether you are using Citrix or fat clients the UBE specs still need to be deployed.

I have been using JDE ERW for 5 years and I can tell you COGNOS has huge advantages and is much more flexible and user friendly.

Mike

yes, i'd love more information on your ad hoc reporting solution.
if you wouldn't mind, i'd like to get a copy of your whitepaper.
thx
doug

XE SP 21
Win2000/MS SQL 2000

The fundamental difference between JDE reports and Cognos is: JDE provides reports (transactional reports), while Cognos provides you the ability to do broader analysis. You can then drill down from an analysis into details (drill down to reports).

To put it shortly, JDE reports provide data, while Cognos would provide information

The biggest advantage is that to get the information using Cognos you dont have to run serveral reports. In most cases you can just change the dimension/ metrics to view information

Vaibhav

I think it is wrong to make a comparison between JDE (ERW) and COGNOS. These are two different products and have been designed to meet their objective. COGNOS, Business Objects are Decision support system tools and not reporting tools although most of the companies who procure these products use them as reporting tools. You should be able to define key performance indicators of your business and use DSS tools to manage them . Whether you get information or data from a tool depends upon how clean your data is and not on the tool being used.

The way I see it, the biggest advantage of using the EWR is it's already paid for...
;)

If your organization is open to buying Cognos or another 3rd party reporting tool, that's even better. Good luck.

Back