How much is to much

Our F42199 Sales order ledger file is now over 1,200,000 records. I'vee seen more, but in your oppinion, how much is too much? If it is to much, what archiving/purging utilities would you suggest for the F42199?

What is your system configuration, and how long have you been running OneWorld? We have been on OneWorld for over 3 years, and now have around 500,000 rows in our F42199 table; however, we're fairly low volume in the SO area. One program we found that updated this table quite heavily is that of SO Cost Update (R42950). We ended up changing the processing options and data selection to prevent this program from updating records unnecessarily, based on how our SO's behave. Also, you may want to see if the table is being hit by someone running a version of Item Master (P4101) with a processing option set to update 2nd & 3rd item numbers.

We've never purged our F42199 table, since it isn't used in any planning programs (e.g. MRP, CRP, Cost Rollup, Leadtime Rollup).

Hi Thomas

There is no real answer to your question. It all depends on the volume of transactions and the disk space you have.
1.2 million is not uncommon though. I have seen up to 5 million and am sure bigger files exist.
However there are in my opinion only two reasons to maintain the sales ledger:
1) The ability to trace movements in values and processes in (recent) sales processing
2) The ability to raise credits from history

For 1) you only need recent history, say a few months
For 2) you might want longer, depending on your credit policies

If disk space and speed is an issue, I wouldn't keep much more than one year's worth of transactions. As F42199 is a stand alone file, it can simply be purged by SQL based on SLUPMJ.
Another strategy is to review your order activity rules. In the early days of going live, it is recommended to record every step in the sales ledger, but once life and running smoothly you may wish to reduce this occurence.

Rgds,

Back