Named User License Vs Concurrent License

sanps

Hi
Can anyone let me know the difference between 'Named User License' and 'Concurrent License'
regards
Sandeep

In your agreement with JDE you can purchase either Named Users or Concurrent Users. If you purchased Named User licenses, they are less expensive than a Concurrent User licenses. However, only the people you name can use the system and the number of Named Users cannot exceed your agreement with JDE. If you purchased Concurrent Users licenses, you can set-up as many people as you want in JDE. However, at any given point in time, the number of people actively using the system cannot exceed your agreement with JDE.

You will need to look at that times of day people will be using the system and the prices of each license type to determine which is best for you.

Sandeep,

I assume you are referring to OneWorld licensing?

These terms "Named" and "Concurrent" that JDE uses for its licensing are not what is usually meant and understood.
A "named" license unit = the license for 1 workstation.
A "concurrent" license unit = 1.6 (number may vary) workstations.

So if you purchase 80 "named" licenses and 100 "concurrent" licenses JDE gives you a license key which allows you to install OW onto 240 clients (80 + 100*1.6). This is based on the assumption that while 80 users may constantly use the system, another 160 will only be occasional users.

The terms then only mean something in calculating the number of licenses. At runtime there is no "concurrent" licensing manager. Licensing is managed by controlling how many clients you may install the software on.

In thin client environments (TSE/Citrix and Web) each server only consumes a single client license. The thin client at the end of the connection does have a copy of the software and therefore does not consume a license. Companies are required to track license usage themselves in such a situation.

Presumably JDE is working on a reliable concurrent license manager that tracks how many actual users are connected at a given time. This is a non-trivial task which is probably why we haven't seen it yet but I'm sure they will eventually come out with one.

I hope this clarifies the terms for you.

Regards,

Thanx Larry_Jones for reply,
We r having license of 30 Named Users. We r having 22 remote locations across the country & using thru web We r using 8 thick clients.

Can we operate for more than 30 users thru web using same license.

Sandeep
OneWorld Xe, SP 20, Win NT, Oracle 8.1.6
Websphere 4.0

I understood JDE had stopped selling Concurrent User Licences - instead you now have the choice of a full user licence or a moderate user licence, the latter is for approvers and other light users. There is a guide figure of no more than 20 moderate users for every 100 full users.

I agree with Larry - there is no concurrent licence manager in JDE, they just cut a licence key which allows a given number of Workstations to be installed. With thin clients becoming the norm this is meaningless.

I would also suggest with the web client, and the push for more infrequent users, with only limited access to JDE functionality (for example for Expenses or Reporting), that the ratio of Moderate Users to Fully Licenced Users is the wrong way round!

Sandeep,

you need to discuss this with your JDE representative.

Regards,

Back