Work order status 40 to Status 41

Lori Gibbs

This may seem like a dumb question, BUT I am wondering how do I get a work order from status 40 (routings and parts list attached) to a status 41 (firm planned work order) I understand that status 40 assumes the planner will take action to balance supply and demand, and that status 41 REQUIRES the planner to take action to balance supply and demand and the status 41 messages have FPO planner remarks. Any help is most appreciated as I believe we are "losing" a lot of messages for components by not going to a status 41. This is not my area of expertise, but I am trying to help others with this issue.

Lori,

There are several ways to get the WO from status 40 to 41. You can print the WO, and have the version of R31410 set up so that it processing option specifies to change the status to 41. Or you can change the WO status directly in Enter/Change WO (P48013).

Also, remember that the user (whoever that is in your site) should be involved in defining the Inclusion/Exclusion rules used for MRP, CRP, Supply & Demand, etc. In these rules (setup via program P34004), you define what order statuses are to be considered "Included" for orders such as PO's, SO's, and WO's. Another hint is that the WO types to be included are specified as a concatenated string processing option to the P34004 program. So if having the WO at status 40 is causing parts NOT to be planned for, maybe the responsible parties need to look at having status 40 considered "Included" for MRP, or address the reason why WO's aren't getting moved from 40 to 41.

Hope this helps!

Don, Thank you so much for your input. As I suspected it's a matter of set ups and processing options. I will pas this information on to the appropriate parties and this will hopefully take care of this issue. I noticed in your profile you are eitther in or from Spokane - I am originally from Olympia.

Again - thank you!!

Lori,

Before you continue you may need to know a few things not made obvious in Don's reply: firstly, and obviously, the Status flow in Manufacturing is not subject to the rules you see in Sales and Purchasing. The values applied are arbitary although it is common practice to use numerics in Manufacturing and it flows in sequence, ie, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc., NOT 40, 30, 20, 10.

Only code "99" is hardcoded. Therefore the meaning of "40" and "41" are meaningless in terms of software. These are purely flags to indicate something that should mean something to your Business. Yes, they can be set to be updated by R31410.

However, the key element missing from this string was the mention of the FPO Processing Option in R3482/R3483. Check this out. There is a reasonabley good White Paper on this in the KG. In a nutshell, this Processing Option prevents the explosion of Planning Messages to the Components of Work Orders at (or beyond) the FPO Status.

On the Supply/Demand Inclusion Rules. Normally all the Statuses are Included as Supply/Demand up to the Fully Complete Status. The only exceptions are where you wish to take something out of the Demand Pattern in order that MRP Re-plans the Supply. This can happen if you are considering scrapping a batch of WIP, for example.

Thanks,

I will forward this to the appropriate individuals & let you know if this helps the situation.

Back