increasing heap size to 2GB

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there

Couple of times we got outofmemory logs and thinking to increase max heap size from 1.5GB to 2GB to each JVM in production. We have 12GB ram in our VM WAS server.

is it save to do? should I start with 1 JVM to see and do rest later. Is anything else I have to change ?

I'm planning to change from WebSphere admin console and will restart services and assume that's all I need.

Thanks

A 2GB heap size is fine as it shouldn't impact your GC pause times (unless your have seriously under powered servers). It is above this number that you need to start being a little more strategic about your tuning. At some point just increasing the heap will degrade performance due to GC and you'll be better off adding another JVM or using the capabilities of Websphere for performance tuning. At what point this will occur is purely dependent on how your particular system is being used.

A 2GB heap size is fine as it shouldn't impact your GC pause times (unless your have seriously under powered servers). It is above this number that you need to start being a little more strategic about your tuning. At some point just increasing the heap will degrade performance due to GC and you'll be better off adding another JVM or using the capabilities of Websphere for performance tuning. At what point this will occur is purely dependent on how your particular system is being used.

Thanks Russel. This helps!

Back