JDeveloper 12.2.1.3 on JDE TR9.2.4.1 - 32 or 64 bit

BOster

BOster

Legendary Poster
I installed JDeveloper for TR9.2.4.1 (32bit) using a 32bit JDK. Am I supposed to install using a 64bit JDK? Is it optional?

Last edited:
I will reply to my own question just to document what I found. Oracle Doc ID 2259366.1 seems to indicate that 64bit JDeveloper is supported starting with TR9.2.1.4. We are currently in the middle of an upgrade to TR9.2.4.1 so I installed JDeveloper using a 64bit JDK and all initial indications are that it works just fine with JDE.

BTW, I asked and started researching because I was getting some intermittent memory errors when launching the Integrated WebLogic server. While researching that I found some documentation that seemed to indicate that JDeveloper 12.2.1.3 needed to run under 64bit JDK to get rid of the errors and possibly JDeveloper 12.2.1.3 is only supported running on a 64bit JDK.

The only time this could bite you is using it with a 32 bit fat client and ER debugger, as I understand the ER debugger uses JNI calls into 32-bit compiled DLLs which are not loadable in a 64bit jvm.

This is for BSSV development and local deployment. My local JAS WebLogic instance runs under a 32bit JDK which is what the ER debugger is connecting too. Also, one other thing I had to do. My local JAS WL instance runs under 32bit JDK 1.8.0_231. When I initially installed JDeveloper using the same JDK I had issues. Found another Oracle doc and I had to install JDK 1.8.0_131 (32 or 64 bit) for the JDeveloper IDE to run correctly.

So when fully running I have
JAS WebLogic 12.2.1.3 running under 32bit JDK 1.8.0_231
JDeveloper/Integrated WebLogic BSSVs running under 64bit JDK 1.8.0_131

While I'm at it. You will, at a minimum, need to apply the following patches to JDeveloper once installed.
p28186730_139422_Generic.zip - Update OPatch
p27073329_122130_Generic.zip - Fixes bug with running a simple POJO as a Java Process

Just confirmed the above config is correct and I was able to still Debug ER code with both my JAS and JDeveloper/WL(64bit) instance running. I have also been able to do check out/in of BSSVs in OMW, I have been able to call consumer BSSVs from JDE (APPL->BSFN->BSSV). Have not tested published BSSVs yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details Brian, this info should be useful as people try to align everything (and I thought DLL hell was bad). As mentioned, the local web app server bitness must match the current foundation for the debugger to work. I have it working on both 32 and 64 dev clients with 9.2.4.2.

Craig

Back