Different output type, do we need a different version?

Andrew2009

Well Known Member
I have a UBE and once it's finished running, it will call itself one time. The first time it runs, it will output a PDF. When it calls itself again, it will output an Excel (BI Published). Right now i have 2 versions, Manual (PDF) and the other is Automatic (BIP - This one has an RD associated with it). So once everything is done, I'll have two files, PDF and Excel

1) Is this the way to do it? I have to have two versions right? The data selection and processing options need to be the same for both versions so that leads to the 2nd question

2) Also is there a way to pass data selection and processing options from the 1st version into the 2nd one or I have to manually change the 2 versions to be the same every time I run it?

Thanks

JDE 9.2

Last edited:
Your report definition can call out multiple XML templates, so the one run can generate both a PDF and Excel file. You'd just need to create a template for the PDF version.

it's not the same data. The PDF will contain the super set of data. The Excel one will contain a subset of the super set of data so that's why I have to use different version

You stated that the data selection and proc opts are the same for both versions. Is that not the case?
You can also filter data in the XML template, so as long as your XML source data has the superset of data, you could filter the data in each template as appropriate.

Your solution is exactly what I need. I have another question. I will have 1 PDF and 3 Excel in the end. Once the report is finished, I'll go to work submitted job and I should see 4 outputs, 3 Excels and 1 PDF.

I have 4 XMLP temlates (object type is RTF) and I added them to the RD already. I checked the check box PDF and Excel under Available and Default already in the RD.

I usually use RTF type to output to Excel and PDF before. But I only had 1 XMLP template before and I specified Excel or PDF under Available and Default so it generated either Excel or PDF. This is the first time I have more than one XMLP template. Can I still use RTF since I've worked with it 99% of the time so I know it well. I rarely used other types?

My question is how to tell the xmlp template to output to PDF or Excel?

Thanks

Last edited:
Andrew,

I have used multiple XMLP templates before, but the output for me was the same type (PDF).
I have not tried to specify different output types, and in looking at the Output specifications in the RD definition, it appears you can specify multiple default output types, but can't specify which type goes with which XMLP template. That being the case, you may still have to run two UBE versions - 1 to generate the PDF and then another to generate the 3 Excel files.

Your requirement, however, sounds like it would be a great enhancement request to put into Oracle. Are you a Quest user group member and used the enhancement request system? You can also log an enhancement request via an SR with Oracle support.

Thanks!

Thanks Don. I'm not a Quest user group but I have access to Oracle Support.

Back