Form Personalization and FullElongation (jas.ini)

ssolberg

VIP Member
We were just hit in the gut with a surprise from Oracle regarding Personal Forms. We had been waiting for this feature for quite some time and super excited to get started. My first attempt was giving me very odd results, particularly with Resizing fields and titles. It was not performing nearly as expected. After some discussions on an SR with Oracle, it was found it was because in our jas.ini file, the option FullElongation MUST be turned OFF.

For those not familiar with this option, it is a standard feature that (when turned ON) allows a form to render based on the size of your browser. In other words, we all have different sized screens and browsers and the fields will move according to your size/resolution. Our users have always liked this feature and we have been using it for years this way.

A second issue came up on further investigation, we have a third-party product (Oracle partner, Bottomline Tech) called TransformAP that REQUIRES this feature to be turned ON.

So we can't turn it off (unless the third party does something) and even if/when we do, numerous screens that users have been used to seeing one way will instantly look quite a bit different (the form is a fixed size). We have tested all of this in our PY environment.

Has anyone else run into this yet and am I just crazy that this doesn't seem ok?

Sannan,

I also have started playing with Form Personalization and Form Extension, and have found that if you use these, the displayed size of the form reverts to the size in Design mode and/or the size you make it within the Form Personalization tool.
Oracle support came back saying that this is behaving per design, but I replied back that I think this is a horrible design and the "design" spec needs to be changed. If you use personalization/extension, the form should expand to fill your screen.
If this doesn't happen, you can end up with excessive scroll bars, and this will definitely hamper adoption.

These are GREAT ideas, but execution needs to be adjusted to hit a home run. Come on, Oracle!

Back