Barcodes are printing a gap space rather than encoding the space

johndanter

johndanter

Legendary Poster
Hi folks,

I have an issue in that my BI Pick Slip is actually printing a physical space rather than encoding one.

Example attached Customer Item Number is actually "*3G Certified*" but it leaves a gap in the bar code between *3G and Certified*

Any ideas how to solve this as it's actually unreadable now.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• RD42520PL_EN_14776479_331607_305.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 25
John,

What bar code method are you using (39, 128, ...)?
Whose Font? They are not all equal.

Suggest you google the subject because I doubt the issue is specific to BIP. I found this from searching
"To print the space symbol in the standard Code 39 Fonts, use "_" (the underscore) or "=" (the equal character) instead of a space.
To print the barcode representing a space symbol in Code 128 Fonts, use ASCII 194 instead of ASCII 32."

Hi Larry

We were using 3 of 9 but I can't remember where I got it from. Now I had to download a newer 3 of 9 that seems to be encoding a space.
I saw that info too thanks. I was hoping I could think of an alternative to do that.

It looks like we need a restart of the server too as a new font installation needs this.

Hey try below Steps , It may resolve your issue
To use the barcode fonts in the report output:
  1. Insert a field in the template where the barcode is to display in the report output.
  2. In the form field, enter the following command:
    <?format-barcode:data;'barcode_type'?>
    where
    data is the element from the XML data source to be encoded. For example: INVOICE_NO
    barcode_type is one of the supported algorithms listed above.
    Examples:
    <?format-barcode:INVOICE_NO;'code128a'?>

<?format-barcode:INVOICE_NO;'code39mod43'?>

<?format-barcode:INVOICE_NO;'upca'?>

3. In Microsoft Word, apply the font to the field. If you have not installed the barcode fonts on your client machine, then select a font that is not used elsewhere in the template, for example, Bookman.
  4. Configure the font in the Font Mapping page. For more information about the Font Mapping page.
Note the following:
  • Microsoft Word may not render the barcode fonts properly even when they are installed on your client. To work around this issue, apply a different font to the field and map the font as described above.
  • The upca algorithm accepts only UPC-A message string and encodes into UPC-A barcode.
  • A string of 12 characters is treated as UPC-A message with a check digit, 11 is without a check digit.
  • The upce algorithm accepts only UPC-E message strings and encodes into UPC-E barcode.
  • A string of 8 characters is treated as a UPC-E message with both a front and end guard bar; a string of 6 characters is without guard bars.

Back