Finding the kernel log related to a Process ID

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
We have an issue where a custom job that updates a custom table as well as F0411Z1 and F0911Z1, did not update the Z1 tables for a handful of records. Researching we are looking for any entries in a log on our enterprise server that might be related to this job.

I thought you could see the Process Id in submitted jobs for a batch job, and that process ID number would relate to a kernel process with the same number. For example, our submitted job I can see that the process id is 6884. However, in the Log folder on the enterprise server which has the logs for UBE KERNEL, SCHEDULER KERNEL, etc, I do not see a log with 6884 in the name.

How can I find the kernel process number so that I can look in that log and see if there might have been any notation around the time frame our job was running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are on E1 9.0, tools 9.1.4.7

You need to look at the report log in the PrintQueue folder. You can retrieve the log from Submitted Jobs directly.

Thanks but there is no report log in the PrintQueue folder for this job. We do have a 1 page pdf that is the output of the UBE, but there is no log. Logging is not turned on. So i'm trying to find info in a Kernel log rather than a log specific to this one job.

Do I understand you are trying to find the Kernel Log for a UBE?

UBE's do not use the kernels, so there would be no kernel log. The best you might be able to do is find a reference to the submit of the UBE in the UBE Kernel log. I would check your INI file to make sure the log directory actually exists. You could try submitting it with debug set on in your Enterprise Server Ini.

Just an idea.

Tom

By default, UBE logs are the Printqueue folder. Regardless of where it resides, you can pull the log from Submitted jobs. There are no kernel logs for UBEs as Tom indicated. UBEs call business functions within the same process and don't use a call object kernel.

PID's

We have an issue where a custom job that updates a custom table as well as F0411Z1 and F0911Z1, did not update the Z1 tables for a handful of records. Researching we are looking for any entries in a log on our enterprise server that might be related to this job.

I thought you could see the Process Id in submitted jobs for a batch job, and that process ID number would relate to a kernel process with the same number. For example, our submitted job I can see that the process id is 6884. However, in the Log folder on the enterprise server which has the logs for UBE KERNEL, SCHEDULER KERNEL, etc, I do not see a log with 6884 in the name.

How can I find the kernel process number so that I can look in that log and see if there might have been any notation around the time frame our job was running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are on E1 9.0, tools 9.1.4.7

The "Process ID" field (JCPROCESSID) of F986110 is the process ID of the last executable to access the record.

Jobs are inserted into the 'W" status by the jdenet_k (UBE Kernel), and the "Process ID" for a 'W' status job is
the UBE Kernel process id.

After inserting, for OneWorld queues, UBE kernel sends a message to the Queue Kernel to schedule the job.

When the job is moved to the 'S' status by queue kernel, the process id is that of the UBE Kernel process.

When the job goes to a 'P' status, (and 'D') the process id is the process ID of the runbatch process.

If a job goes to an 'E' (Error) status, it may be the process ID of the runbatch process if, after catching the error, the job shutdown gracefully, or it will be the process ID of the UBE kernel process, if the job crashed with a severe, unrecoverable error.

It will look like this if you capture it with triggers:

JCJOBSTS JCFNDFUF2 JCJOBNBR JCPROCESSID modified_date action
D R0005P_XJDE0001 1517 6940 2017-12-03 13:13:09.577 UPDATED
P R0005P_XJDE0001 1517 6940 2017-12-03 13:13:09.573 UPDATED
P R0005P_XJDE0001 1517 6940 2017-12-03 13:11:59.473 UPDATED
S R0005P_XJDE0001 1517 10016 2017-12-03 13:11:58.477 UPDATED
W R0005P_XJDE0001 1517 10016 2017-12-03 13:11:58.473 INSERTED

PID 10016 is the UBE kernel and 6940 is the runbatch.exe process. The logs for the runbatch process will go away unless you are keeping logs or have enabled logging for that job.

I realize that this does not help you find the logs you need but it does help explain what PID's you are seeing and the fact that the log for the job (runbatch.exe) went away.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 14
Back