9.1 Fat Client Through MPLS Connection

Jeff George

Jeff George

Well Known Member
My office is connected to the enterprise server location through a dedicated MPSL line. I've attempted to install a full client on my laptop through this connection. Is it standard for this type of connection to be extremely slow, or is it possible that there are issues with the network? It takes ~30 minutes just to get to the installation directory selection when running the E1 client install program. There are other client applications we simply cannot run efficiently over this connection, so I'm wondering if E1 is not recommended on the type of connection I'm using or if there's something else going on.

Not heard of MPSL. Tell us the speed of your connection and how many other clients are using it ...

Actually ... if other applications work poorly over your connection don't expect JDE to do so even after you manage to get it installed. JDE is very "chatty" so if you have poor latency on your network connection then its going to crawl.

Jon Steele will probably pipe in soon telling you that your best solution is going to be a citrix setup ...

Currently, I just RDP to a workstation local to the enterprise server for fat client work. I was just hoping to remove a step from the process.

I'll pipe in :)

Your latency is far too high for a fat client setup. You need to continue using RDP to connect to a workstation that is local to the implementation, or other remote desktop "screen sharing". I like Teamviewer these days.

Low Bandwidth and High Latency are all bad news for any Client/Server installation/configuration. Fat Clients should only be local to the database/implementation if at all possible. Screen "sharing" using RDP is designed for low bandwidth/high latency and only transfer keyboard/mouse movement clicks and retrieve screen changes.

It is MPLS, not MPSL. Fat clients don't work well over MPLS. It is good enough for Citrix, and a toss up for web clients.

Those last couple of answers have determined that I won't even bother trying then. I thought that might be the result, but I wanted to confirm since this is my first time not being local to the Enterprise/Deployment servers.

Jeff, This is an OLD story, but back in the Xe days, I tried using a fat client from London, GB when my servers were in Milwaukee, WI.

Started the fat client at 6am, and when I left at 6pm the login was still not complete.

The architecture of a fat client has not really changed that much in all these years, so I'd expect similar results.

Tom

Back