Add on Server

Madav Karna

Hi everyone,

We are using JDE 9.0 and tools release 8.98.4.3 our enterprise server and web server are running on AIX 6.1, we are using Webshpere 7.0.
We are upgrading our database from Oracle 11g (11.2.0.7) to 12C, and are moving from AIX to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
We have decided to proceed with Add on Server approach where we add the new database server and then decommission the old database server.
It would be of a great help if someone can help me in getting the steps involved in adding the new database server.

Thanks,
SG Madav Karna

I recommend you go through the Certifications for your tools release. I dont think Oracle Database 12C is supported on Tools 8.98.x. Are you planning to upgrade your tools release? With Apps 9.0 you can do a tools only upgrade to 9.2, which would give you the possibility of upgrading your Database, OS level for all your servers and you also get the cool new features of 9.2

Dunant

Hi Madav,

8.98.x tools does not support Oracle 12C. Please refer to 8.9x MTRs from MOS portal (https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?id=705411.1)

Overview of the database server migration:
1. Install a new server with all OS related MTRs
2. Install the new database version with all necessary patches on the new server
3. Run platform pack to create all necessary schema/databases on the new database server
4. Run Add-On-Server plan to register the new server in the JDE environment.
5. As you are moving from Oracle 11g to Oracle 12c, you can run Data Pump methods to export and import the databases/schemas from old database to new database server.
6. Start with PS - export all PS databases from Oracle 11g and import into Oracle 12c.
7. Validate the schema/user privileges on new DB server with old DB server. Resolve any issues if noticed.
8. Login into JDE, change database name in data sources for PS environment under System, Server Map & Planner.
9. Change the database server name in all PS related INI files (Enterprise server, JAS Server, FAT clients etc)
10. Perform surface testing, build and deploy a new full package. Resolve any issues if noticed.
11. Code freeze in every non-prod environment, Repeat from step#6 to 10 for all non-prod environments one by one.
12. Perform OMW operations to make sure check-in, checkout, Get operations are successful.
13. Take Outage for PD, perform #6 to #10 along with System Database.

Hope this gives an overview of the process.

Shyamlal

@dunant : thanks
@shyamlal : Thanks we are only moving to 11.2.0.4 now

Hi Madav,

8.98.x tools does not support Oracle 12C. Please refer to 8.9x MTRs from MOS portal (https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?id=705411.1)

Overview of the database server migration:
1. Install a new server with all OS related MTRs
2. Install the new database version with all necessary patches on the new server
3. Run platform pack to create all necessary schema/databases on the new database server
4. Run Add-On-Server plan to register the new server in the JDE environment.
5. As you are moving from Oracle 11g to Oracle 12c, you can run Data Pump methods to export and import the databases/schemas from old database to new database server.
6. Start with PS - export all PS databases from Oracle 11g and import into Oracle 12c.
7. Validate the schema/user privileges on new DB server with old DB server. Resolve any issues if noticed.
8. Login into JDE, change database name in data sources for PS environment under System, Server Map & Planner.
9. Change the database server name in all PS related INI files (Enterprise server, JAS Server, FAT clients etc)
10. Perform surface testing, build and deploy a new full package. Resolve any issues if noticed.
11. Code freeze in every non-prod environment, Repeat from step#6 to 10 for all non-prod environments one by one.
12. Perform OMW operations to make sure check-in, checkout, Get operations are successful.
13. Take Outage for PD, perform #6 to #10 along with System Database.

Hope this gives an overview of the process.

Shyamlal

Hi Shyamlal

You mentioned in Step 8

In my case, we are on a AS400 DB2 data server and am trying to migrate to SQL Server. I did create an add on server plan. I can see I cannot change an existing datasaource type. So do I have to delete the existing datasource and create a new one..?

Back