User Friendly JDE URLs

tboat00

tboat00

Well Known Member
I am looking for suggestions/options to be able to provide user friendly urls for JDE web servers. Instead of providing the long url with port numbers, I would like to be able to to just use something like [email protected] or [email protected] and redirect them to the correct web server instance.

Anyone ever do this easily/quickly/cheaply. I would be interested in hearing any solutions for this.

Thanks,

We use a reverse proxy with apache for a a dozen of customer under the same installation (a sort of SaaS).
Il will redirect to te correct web server (or to the correct load balancer) using the url. Il will be like 'jde.company.com'

tbo,

One way we have done this is via use of an external load balancer and Apache, I believe similar to what dguastalli suggests. We used this with WebSphere prior but we use the same concept now that we run WebLogic. DNS points to a farm on our A10 appliance (which is likely similar to your F5 device): Example - JDEProd.companydomain.com. The load balancing appliance then sends the user to one of several web instances. In our case we use IP addresses set up in Oracle HTTP server (i.e., Apache) to direct the user to the desired instance. However, your F5 may allow you to address each instance without the need for an apache server in front. This is an older post I made on the subject:

https://www.jdelist.com/vb4/showthread.php/50230-WebLogic-Oracle-HTTP-Server-and-Server-Alias

But since that post it seems like devices similar to the F5 have made it much easier in my opinion where you might be able to directly reference a server and port number.

Hi Tbo

You can use a very simple configuration. If you have 1 server then you have only one Web Instance and one URL. If you have 2 servers 2 Instances then 2 URLS etc...

Just create a simple DNS ALIAS on your DNS Local Infrastructure.

If you have 1 server, create a DNS alias pointing to the IP @
If you have 2 servers, create the same DNS alias pointing to the primary and the secondary IP @

For your user, simply communicate the new DNS alias, i.e: http://jde

And now, on each of your Web JDE Server, put this freeware application Nginx, (No Installation, just copy the folder on the D:\ drive), setup the HTTPD.CONF to redirect port 80 to the correct JDE port/url on your server.
You can setup Nginx to start automatically with the Windows Server

Rk

You can use your DNS server to create virtual DNS address and re-route them to your actual Webserver. If you have multiple webservers (say for Prod), you could use a load balancer like Zen(Zevenet) to load-balance your Webservers and also have a virtual IP address created which you can map to a virtual DNS.

Thanks

Back