Disable and Enable a required field in a App

seid199

Hey guys, I am modifying a base code application that needs 3 fields required fields to be either turned on/off. The preferred solution is to use a Processing Option to do this so in the future the end user can either turn on the required field or off. I am wondering if I can get suggestions on apps that already do the same thing I described above or can point me in the right direction. So my processing option would being either a 0 = false or 1 = true, based on which one it is the Application will not throw an error in red telling the end user he needs to enter the information into that field.

FYI - I am new to JDE, I have only been working with it now for 2 months. Keep in mind - if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all... move along. I do not need to be discouraged from pursuing a further interest in JDE development I've come to like the tool and I can definitely see its uses, advantages and disadvantages. Think back when you were first learning it, did you know everything?

FYI - I am new to JDE, I have only been working with it now for 2 months. Keep in mind - if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all... move along. I do not need to be discouraged from pursuing a further interest in JDE development I've come to like the tool and I can definitely see its uses, advantages and disadvantages. Think back when you were first learning it, did you know everything?

Seid,

checked your prior two posts and didn't see where anyone talked down to you in those threads. Any particular experience that caused your comment above?

Regarding your main question:
Others may disagree with me but I would NOT use the Processing option method - modifiable by end user.
If you really want the End_User to decide for themselves if a field is modifiable or not just put a Check Box or Radio button in the Form Header and reference that field in your ER code that validates whether a field should be required or not. One reason for this is that its not a particularly good practice to modify standard application's data structures - which is what a Processing Option Template is. There are potential issues at the time of the next upgrade.

Larry,

Yes, I personally have not been talked down on but I have come across posts where people do tend to brush of something easy and say you should know how to do this or that, but these people typically get shut down rather quickly. Here is a recent example that I looked at last week (https://www.jdelist.com/vb4/showthread.php/45964-Can-we-copy-NER). Wanted to throw out the FYI just to keep people like "him" away.

As for your solution, I stumbled upon a custom app that did the same thing I needed yesterday. Although you make a valid point maybe in the future I can go about using different methods to accomplish the same end goal.

My solution was add a Y/N field in the PO, then if that PO is != to Y the required fields would be turned off. It was a rather simple fix to the base code program which the end user is happy about.

Larry - Thank you for your solution I will keep it in mind for future enhancements to JDE apps.

Back