Many program crashes with fresh install of A9.4

bhuntsman

Hi there!
I hope this is simple and has been seen before. It's so pervasive I figure it's gotta be an easy fix and I just missed something.

I have a fresh install of IBM i 7.1, and performed a fresh install of JDE A9.4. I log in as JDE, and can jump through the menus and enter the various functions, but once I enter a function (not just a menu), if I press F12 or F4, I get a program crash, and the RPG dump indicates a "permanent I/O exception" on the Display File. I'm really shocked that the whole mess doesn't just work right out of the box, so I figure I did something wrong. This happens on any function. I can't track it down to just a subset.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks!

Are you using Client Access as your client? If so, make sure its setup to be 27x132 ... just in case the new JDE release uses a wider screen layout. You may need to look closer at the dump/joblog to narrow this down...

So after looking through some more job logs and stuff, I tracked this down to the fact that the JDWINS library, which contains the message file, is not being automatically added to the library list. Therefore, any time a display file tries to display a localized string, I get a crash. I can solve it by using ADDLIBLE to add it manually, but, does anyone know why this wouldn't be added by default on a fresh-out-of-the-box install, and, how to resolve it more permanently?

Many thanks!

how to resolve it more permanently? Many thanks!

I'm not sure what the JDEWINS library is for - sounds like its language related (we are at A73Cum12...)

One option would be to add the library to the user library list (under System Value: QUSRLIBL) but you should probably investigate this a little further by checking the contents of the library :)

I solved it. I'm baffled why it basically doesn't work out of the box, or why I couldn't find this documented anywhere.

The fix (or at least the one I implemented) was to add the JDWINS library to the library list in the JDE job description, and adding it to the Library List Revisions for the Pristine environment. No problems since.

Thanks!

Ok, so further research tells me that while my "fix" worked, it wasn't the "right" way to do it. JDWINS is part of the installation environment, and according to docs I later discovered, should never be used for any other purpose. However, the QJDEMSG message file isn't part of JDWOBJ94, JDWDTA94, or JDWSRC94.

Two better fixes are to a) copy the message file to JDWOBJ94 or QGPL. b) Use the JDE Message File rebuild option (2) on menu G9642. Selecting this option will place the result in QGPL, unless you tweak the output library by modifying the processing option form J98DDMSGF.

I'm sure the right way is to rebuild it, but I simply copied the one out of JDWINS and then removed that library from my various library lists.

Back