Printing Sales Invoice with Serial Numbers - R42565

Mike Mackinnon

Mike Mackinnon

Well Known Member
I am working on a BI Publisher report for R42565 and the customer wants to see the sales order lines 'condensed' by item. What they are looking for is if the item is repeated to only list the item ONCE but have a listing of all the serial numbers for that item that come from different lines for that item (split lines from SD/OD receipts). I think this may be extremely difficult as the R42565 has the detail line section with all the information together in it like item, prices, lot number, etc so when I condense by item (from process options - 2-Print, option 11) I lose the lot/serial information on the report.

I am almost thinking I need to modify the R42565 (or create custom object) or if there is some other way to add 'code' to the RTF document to either display the information or hide depending if the item is repeating or not.

I have attached the section of the RTF that I am talking about.

Attachments

• RTF - Item Section Screen Shot.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Mike,

Just a different thought, not necessarily a solution ... You can enable EDI processing in R42565. This writes the outbound invoice data (header and detail) to the EDI tables. You can then create a custom UBE to read this data and create invoice data however it's needed. The win is not modifying R42565. The R43500 PO Print UBE actually has option to run a custom UBE to print PO invoices in a similar manner.

Craig

Thanks for the input but we have already customized the R42565. I guess I was just trying to create a simple way (if possible!) to print the lines in summary with display of serial numbers. I didn't want to bring in another function that may add to the complexity of the printing of invoices. We have sales orders for serialized items that could be hundreds long and instead of giving the customer a *HUGE* invoice with repeating item numbers we could just list item number once and have the serial numbers listed under that item. Unfortunately I suspect that it would require tweaking the R42565 since the way it is written has all the line information in one section. I was kind of thinking of doing like a 'HIDE' or 'set to blank' for the item information if the item number is the same or looking at the code that does the summary option from process options.

I'm not completely ruling out your option but I guess I was thinking of something different...maybe easier :) Thanks for input!

PS - Yeah we already use the PO print '2nd UBE' option and it works wonderful!!

My first thought would be to add a small simple section to the R42565 that data selects on the order/invoice and item number. It collects the serial numbers into a long string that is a large RV (creating multiple RVs if needed to handle the number of possible serial numebrs) using concatenate to put spaces or commas between them. You then put the RV(s) in your BIP template after your item detail line. If consolidate is on, you call the section. If none of the RVs populate (no serial numbers) you hide them.

We have used this for tracking numbers at the end of the invoice but the principles should work calling it out from the detail section.

I realize this is a mod to the R42565, but it is a simple straightforward one. In my thinking, doing as much data collection/aggregation/creation in the UBE as possible is best to help keep the BIP template streamlined and better able to focus on layout/presentation as intended.

Jer

Last edited:
Jer,
agree with the 'pre-processing' as much as possible! I will have a look at this and see what I can do to 'organize' the lot numbers as could have a custom section to output the serials and output them as needed on the output. It might require some sort of smarts but I'll will investigate and report if I come up with a workable/easy solution.

Thanks for input Jer and Craig!

sounds good, Mike. I should clarify since my thinking wouldn't require much logic, so maybe I am missing something. What I envisioned was a simple section on a F4211/F42119 join (for reprints) that would select on the invoice and item number. It should simply take the LOTN field from the F4211 and, if it exists, add it to a string so you end up with an RV that looks like serial1, serial2, serial3, serial4.... Building the list can go a couple ways - using averages or exact lengths.

If you use averages, as I did, I figured out that I could safely fit 6 numbers in one RV, so I have code that checks to see how many I have added and moves to the next RV if needed. This option works well if the items are typically a consistent length. If the size varies wildly, you could do an actual character count to be sure you don't overfill an RV.
If you put the RVs on the Detail section along with your other item line detail, they will be easy to add to the BIP template. If consolidation is off, you just hide them and don't run the custom section.

One advantage of using BI over RDA, is that the BI variable will wrap if needed. So, theoretically, you could have a very large RV that would not look good on a JDE report, but works fine in BIP.

I attached a screen shot of my code for your review.

Jer

Attachments

• tracking numbers.jpg
    tracking numbers.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back