Should Canceled Work Orders Be Captured in Work order Close process? R3190 PO status?

bigwebb83

I'm trying to figure out some issues with our work order process. Running JD Edwards 9.1 over an Oracle DB. The specific issue that's arising is as follows:

- Sales order is entered with an item designated as line type "W"

- Work Order is generated and often processed (parts list attached and hard commit of components occurs)

- Sales order line in question is cancelled, thus canceling associated work order (moving to status 91)

- R3190 Runs with processing option set at 95, so commitments are never relieved for cancelled work orders.

What I am currently considering is changing the processing option on the scheduled version of R3190 to 91. this solves the immediate commitment issue, but I'm not sure if there may be other problems created that I'm not seeing.

My question is, first, are there any other consequences of my proposed change? Is this common practice? My next question is, should canceled work orders live at that status forever and ever amen? Or should they be picked up and bumped along to a closed status in the manufacturing accounting/work order close process?

I do realize that we can manually delete the parts list, thus relieving commitments, but this is something that happens with some frequency in a fast paced environment, so I don't want to suggest that as the solution if there is a reasonable way to automate this.

any input would be greatly appreciated. I know you guys are big on detail inclusion in these posts, I'm not a frequent poster, but I did my best so forgive me if I left any critical details out. Happy to provide additional information.

We had issues with lingering work orders in status 91 for a multitude of reasons. What we have done is created a version of R31802A that resets the status of the WO back to 90 which then allows it to run through our scheduled manufacturing accounting jobs to then subsequently take the WO to status 99 and completely close it.

One of the issues we encountered is that if transactions were processed against the work order on the same day that it was cancelled, these were not getting picked up by the issues and completions jobs and resulting in inventory reconciliation issues and potentially unrecognized manufacturing variances for partial WOs that will never be completed.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

If you set it back to 90 and then process it through to completion, wont it then apply parts and labor as well?

Not in our setup. In our statuses, users can add parts and labor up through status 78, the shop floor flags an order complete at status 79 and ready for quality review. Quality will then move the status to 80 to flag it complete for Operations, which is then where all of our Manufacturing accounting takes place. Rolling it back to 90 allows your GL to be able to capture any activity that occurred at the lower statuses that did not generate a GL posting due to the activity occuring very close to the same time that the order was ultimately cancelled.

but if there is a parts list attached to the canceled order, how would the system know not to create GL entries for that parts list?

but if there is a parts list attached to the cancelled order, how would the system know NOT to create GL entries for that parts list if it is move to a complete status and then processed through the normal manufacturing accounting s

A parts list being attached doesn't trigger any GL entries - it is the actual issuing of the items on the parts list via IM transactions that would ultimately trigger GL entries. You can have a parts list attached, but not have any issues prior to the WO being cancelled. Even if a WO was changed to a complete status, but no IM transactions occurred against that WO, there would be no GL postings related to the parts list.

So I ended up setting our processing option for R3190 to clear and recommit anything less than a 91 status. This seemed to do the trick for our WO's and get our managers' stock status and commitment reports back in line. HOWEVER, we also run equipment work orders (WM Doc Type) with alpha status codes (MJ, MK, MM etc) and the system is actually viewing those alpha status codes as greater than the numeric status codes. So each time R3190 is run, it clears and DOES NOT recommit any of the equipment parts list for our WM maintenance work orders.

I know we aren't the only organization using both. How are others handling this? Two distinct versions of R3190 with the doc type specified in each perhaps?

Per JDE Document ID 873115.1

Process to Capture Variances from Cancelled Work Orders

When a work order is cancelled, and the work order (WO) status is changed to 99, it skips the Manufacturing Accounting, preventing any incorrect issues, or hours, to be cleared from WIP.

JDE recommends that when a WO is cancelled, it is moved to status 95 and run through both Manufacturing Acctg R31802A and Mfg Variance R31804, in case material or labor has been processed on the work order. However, when cancelling WOs by changing to a status 95, the Variance Flag (PPFG) in the F4801 will not be updated if it doesn't have any transactions to process. Users expect that the flag will change to '1' after Variance Journal Entries (R31802A) is run and then change to a '2' after Manufacturing Variances (R31804) is run.

The system does not move the PPFG flag if it finds no transactions to process. Using status 95 in the data selection for the R31802A after completions, and setting the processing option to move to the next status of 96, one of two outcomes will occur:

For WOs that have costs associated, follow the normal WO process, updating the PPFG flag to 1, and a status update to 96 in the F4801.
Run the next version of R31802 to data select on PPFG flag = 1 and with WO status = 96. This will only capture those that can than be processed through variance accounting correctly, and set the processing option to move to status 97. Then run R31804, in proof mode, over all status 97 orders, moving the status to 98. Review. Run the final version over same data selection, in final mode, moving to status 99.

For the work orders that don't have a PPFG set, and are at status 96: Create and run a version of R31802A, in final mode, with the processing option to move them to status 99 with the data selection on work order status = 96, and PPFG = blank.
This will move all canceled work orders, yet provides the few that have costs in them to clear out WIP.

Thank you for that. Would this take care of my issue whereby R3190 is clearing and not recalculating commitments for WM equipment work orders? My problem seems to be that no matter what numeric status I put in the processing option for R3190, it views all of the alpha status codes associated with Equipment Work Orders as greater than the numeric status, so it clears and does NOT recommit.

Devo, when you say "clear out wip" do you mean clear commitments against the cancelled work orders? It sounds like you're saying that if I configure the manufacturing accounting reports correctly, it will process cancelled work orders through to a 99 relieving the commitments from the parts list and routing that have been attached, and it will NOT incur any costs associated with the parts/labor. Am I understanding you correctly?

Also, when you say "materials or labor has been processed on the work order", are you referring to a commitment (I.E. Parts list attached)? Or are you talking about an actual issue (IM, IH, II)?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Back