Anyone know what ever happened with "Virtual Batch Queues"?

serenity_now

Hi All,

I remember a few years back there was talk of Virtual Batch queues being implemented by Oracle which would greatly help with the problem of 2 separate servers handling UBEs and not having single threaded jobs colliding on either server. I don't see anything mentioning this anywhere anymore other than some older threads on here.

We are looking at having 2 different Enterprise servers for timezones, preferably we would like each server (representing a timezone) to process its own UBEs so the timestamps and transaction dates/records are all correct to that timezone, etc. Currently the options are to hardcode all single threaded jobs to one server, which kind of defeats the purpose of the timezones in some cases, the other option is piecing together some kind of custom solution that may be a bit overkill.

Just curious if there is anything I am missing, or if this has just fallen by the wayside.

If you are on E9.1 or above, check out the following doc

Time Zone Support for Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne (Doc ID 1379886.1)

APPLIES TO:

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools - Version: 9.1 and later [Release: 9.1 and later ]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
ABSTRACT

Many JD Edwards EnterpriseOne customers need transactions to reflect their users’ local time zones. EnterpriseOne does not have explicit built-in local time zone support. This document describes a technique that may be used to provide time zone support for EnterpriseOne users. It allows customers to configure EnterpriseOne to support multiple time zones on a single operating system image. Thus eliminating the need to purchase and manage a multiple servers for the purpose of providing multiple time zone support for their end-users

Author:Micheal Guerra
Create Date 22-NOV-2011

Last edited:
serenity - what platform and version are you running ?

Oracle has definitely dropped the ball on virtual batch queues - something which would be incredibly easy for them to implement - but, from what I understand, they attempted to "over engineer" the requirement until it became larger and a lot more indepth than they wanted to achieve (or customers even wanted).

However, many larger companies have created solutions around this externally by updating the data in the tables directly. Let me know what platform you're on, and what version you're running and I'll see if theres a pointer to help you create a custom solution.

Last edited:
serenity - what platform and version are you running ?

Oracle has definitely dropped the ball on virtual batch queues - something which would be incredibly easy for them to implement - but, from what I understand, they attempted to "over engineer" the requirement until it became larger and a lot more indepth than they wanted to achieve (or customers even wanted).

However, many larger companies have created solutions around this externally by updating the data in the tables directly. Let me know what platform you're on, and what version you're running and I'll see if theres a pointer to help you create a custom solution.

Thanks for the replies.

We are on Apps Release 9.1 and running on an AIX server.

I agree that the virtual batch queues from a high level seems like something easy they could implement, though perhaps I am not thinking it through fully.

Back