switching platforms

nkuebelbeck

nkuebelbeck

VIP Member
Currently we run on the iSeries/DB2 there's rumblings of switching to Windows/MSSQL. What kind of effort is involved in something like this? Does oracle support this type of conversion?

note: the rumblings is coming from the non-jde IT support side.

There is no issue with support. Effort (very high level):

• Convert all your data (business data, control tables, system etc.) to SQL
  • Remap data sources to point to SQL

You are probably better off installing a new deployment server and doing this in parallel. I am sure Jon Steel will pitch in on this as well.

It's perfectly supported. Are you going to do it to coincide with an app release upgrade or just doing the migration?

It's really pretty straight forward to do, the size of your overall environment and database will determine how complex it has to be. I've done this migration numerous times and typically will use some form of ETL tool to handle the largest tables and then just setup data sources and run R98403 to handle the rest of them. In your case though, it obviously would entail setting up new enterprise servers as well and maybe web servers depending on where you have websphere running. So, in short - it's no small undertaking and to me it would make more sense to do it at the same time as an app upgrade to 9.2.

thanks for the input.

This would not coincide with an app release upgrade. I'm thinking the migration would happen with in the next 5 years if at all.

We've got some existing legacy application on the iseries(custom rpg/db2 stuff) which will take more work than moving jd edwards is what it sounds like. this was my hunch just wanted that warm fuzzy feeling that comes from someone agreeing with me.

We've got some existing legacy application on the iseries(custom rpg/db2 stuff) which will take more work than moving jd edwards is what it sounds like.

There you got it!

The complexity or problem will not be JDE, rather all the 3rd party BoltOn applications you may have which have a dependency on iSeries. Those will be the pain in ....
Porting JDE will not be a big challenge. Rather situations like this shows us what a beautiful piece of software JDE is...

Last edited:
Soumen is absolutely right (and thanks for the plug, Hari !) - the effort to move from iseries to Oracle or SQL Server is actually not that big of a deal. The big issues and hurdles come with any of the legacy or interface solutions that tie directly into the database or runs on the iSeries platform. Thats the easy push-back to your non-JDE folks. However, they might still want you to evaluate each piece and evaluate the effort involved in migrating to non-AS400. I've done this for several companies, and I truly believe theres a big wave of iseries to Microsoft/Linux migrations that is coming down the pipe as companies want to virtualize or go to Public Cloud offerings like AWS.

Back