What's the big announcements out of Collaborate?

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Oracle usually saves something big to announce at Collaborate. For those of us unable to attend, can someone pass on any word of the big ne shiny things?

Just received this Collaborate Keynote screenshot from a coworker there at collaborate.

FYI for those unfamiliar with the company Zappos is a large online shoe retailer. The picture appears to be of one of their automated warehouses with shoes, shoes, and more shoes.

Attachments

• Collaborate_Keynote_Pic.JPG
    Collaborate_Keynote_Pic.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
is Zappos a JDE customer now ? I thought Zappos was a division of Amazon - in which case they'd probably have to be on AWS...

More tidbits ...

1. Clayton Seeley yesterday talked about a one click deploy for cloud installations, with the add-on that this will likely be available for on premise customers in the future too.

2. For release 9.2, new support policy will be 10 years of Premier Support + 3 years Extended Support.

More tidbits ...

1. Clayton Seeley yesterday talked about a one click deploy for cloud installations, with the add-on that this will likely be available for on premise customers in the future too.
That sounds cool.
2. For release 9.2, new support policy will be 10 years of Premier Support + 3 years Extended Support.
Does that mean theres no "9.3" ? In which case, its not so good for the industry...

That sounds cool.

Does that mean theres no "9.3" ? In which case, its not so good for the industry...

Eh, Jon you know the writing has been on the wall for this one for a while now, Oracle is killing E1. And Clayton was just appeasing the on-premise folks about the one-click. I mean, how many net new on-prem implementations will there be going forward after this year, really?? Oracle has made the decision and direction for longer than a year now that they had no interest in selling E1 as an on-prem solution. Everything they are doing is 100% cloud focused. They still don't even sell E1 as a "cloud" application offering - they just have "simplified the provisioning of servers to run it in a hosted manner" - something that E1 customers have been doing for years.

I'm personally polishing up my skill set on picking lottery numbers!!

Just received this Collaborate Keynote screenshot from a coworker there at collaborate.

FYI for those unfamiliar with the company Zappos is a large online shoe retailer. The picture appears to be of one of their automated warehouses with shoes, shoes, and more shoes.

[Based on what I learnt from colleagues], This has nothing to do with Zappos as JDE customer. This was shown in the context of "being happy". The CEO of Zappos, Tony Hsieh wrote a book on it.

Jon , based on some individual conversations I had with Denver folks at Collaborate the impression I got is this - 9.2 is the release that they will continue to enhance. If and when 9.3 comes out, it will be a while away. So they will break away from the 3 year cycle they followed earlier which would have had a "9.3 Apps" released in 2018.

So for folks not on 9.2 Apps yet and on the fence about upgrading (or waiting for 9.3 to come out to upgrade) , the message is upgrade to 9.2 now. When 9.3 comes out , far out as it may be , it will be an easy jump from 9.2 to 9.3

This is of course my interpretation , and may not reflect what actually plays out , but we should be able to confirm this in the next few months at more events that are coming up (Partner Summit , InFocus etc.)

Very interesting document.

I wonder if one of the fallouts of this is that Customers see:
1. an indeterminate number of years without any major application functionality upgrades
2. that the current release (9.2) should be stable for 10+ years
3. some Customers still running E1 7.333

and ask
"Why should I continue to pay Oracle an exorbitant amount of maintenance dollars?"

Of course if you're a cloud customer you have no choice ... ;-)

Just stirring the pot ;-)

My 2c:

1. Depends on your definition of "functionality". I expect added functionality on the technical side (tools releases).
2. They will keep it stable from a technical standpoint (i.e. compatibility with latest OS, database etc.).
3. 7333 customers: They will probably weigh the pros/cons of staying on E1 vs moving on to a different ERP (from Oracle or otherwise).

Just stirring the pot ;-)

Keep stirring, Larry :), all good questions. I hope others will pitch in as well ...

JDE 9.2 may be the last E1 release same as Microsoft Windows 10 is the last operating system :)

JDE 9.2 may be the last E1 release same as Microsoft Windows 10 is the last operating system :)

I am not so sure about Windows 10 is the last one. All news items I found are based on one statement made a Microsoft employee at the 2015 Ignite conference. I did not find an official MSFT source. If you find an official source, please post it here.

Your are correct that there is no official news about that. seems they also gonna wait and see approach as technology moving fast specially in AI sector.
There will a patch based updates going forward though with services based.

I personally believe there will be no more new OS as by now there should be a news about windows 11 or 12.

Sorry I did not mean to change the thread topic. I through just an example.

Look at the good source below.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/11/windows-10-last-version-microsoft

JDE is going to have to get to 64 bit. I believe that will be the 9.3 release. Regardless, the message was clear, get to 9.2 ASAP.

JDE is going to have to get to 64 bit.
This is a pretty major undertaking for the development group. Back in the old days, OneWorld was actually originally developed as a 16 bit application. Just prior to the Alpha release, there was a huge push to move from 16 bit to 32 bit. If I remember, that effort took considerable time.

Now, its my opinion that all Oracle has to do is to ensure the Tools they provide are recompiled and working under 64 bit. But the entire point of moving from 32 bit to 64 bit is memory allocation, and the entire "memory cache" functionality would have to be re-written from the ground up.

I'm not sure that JDE/Oracle would go through this effort - especially given the history of them pushing "Fusion" (or, as its now called, Cloud Applications). I just don't see them taking the time to make JDE fully 64bit compliant. We have been asking JDE to be 64 bit compliant for at least 10 years now, I just don't think Oracles heart is in it. But I'd love to be wrong...

JDE include files had some "#ifdef WIN64" for some years now. And I've heard we can expect x64 next year for Windows and/or Linux.

Probably in TR9.2.2 or something. TR9.2.1, as an example, has delivered some major changes, despite the puny 0.0.1 version difference.

Back