Save output to dynamically defined folder

TimPierce

Reputable Poster
Does anyone know if it's possible to have the RD output saved to a specific folder based on a report variable?

I have a report run by Business Unit and the requirement is to save the output to a different folder for each Business Unit. i.e. a report run for BU 10001 would go to //servername/10001/output.pdf.

I can't see any way of doing this using BI, but I was wondering if there's something I'm missing?

The alternative would be to save all output to the same folder, then write a .bat job to pick up the BU value from the filename and copy it to the correct folder and have that running on windows scheduler every few minutes.

Hi Tim,

Have you played about the Config Server Path form exit?

I know you can change the file name using variables. So maybe combining those 2 facts if you name the file differently per BU using a variable, you can then maybe setup a folder rule in your destination folder to then move the files on to various folders from there?

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

Have you played about the Config Server Path form exit?

I know you can change the file name using variables. So maybe combining those 2 facts if you name the file differently per BU using a variable, you can then maybe setup a folder rule in your destination folder to then move the files on to various folders from there?

Thanks again John.

Yes, I did check out that Form Exit, haven't had much opportunity to figure it out just yet.

I like your folder rule idea, I'll dig into that.

Back