JDE integration licensing implications

DPost_man

Integrating with 3rd party application

Does anyone here have experience with integrating a 3rd party solution with JDE? How did you choose what JDE interoperability method to use (BSSV, AIS, XML CallObject)? Were their licensing implications to your implementation?

Last edited:
OK. Firstly, great big, giant, sign in blood disclaimer here. The following is opinion only and in no way constitutes any sort of legal advice and does not represent Oracle in any way. If you fail an Oracle license audit because of this information it is your own fault for using something you read on the internet. If you don't agree then stop reading now :)

The answer is: it depends on when you purchased your license and what you're doing rather than the tech used. If you purchased your license recently from Oracle then it doesn't matter which method you use. Your options with regards to this are:
1. Enterprise licensing metric (eg gross revenue) allows as many users as you want as long as the module is licensed
2. Full user license for the module that the user is interacting with
3. Mobile user license which allows indirect access (not through the normal JDE web UI) to almost all modules (there are exemptions) that you have at least one full license for.
4. Device license for the module which is generally 10% of the full user license cost. If the device requires human interaction to operate then it is not considered a device and you'll need to see 2 or 3 above.

If you're on older JDE license agreements then you have a lot more flexibility. The named user license used to define a named user as a unique username in JDE which meant that you could get away with service accounts from third party systems. Before that there was concurrent users which meant with a bit of batching and queuing you could get away with all sorts of stuff.

Last edited:
I have used XML CallObject the most extensively. I think it is the simplest and extremely powerful, especially useful in combination with other development tools. Useful for inbound events only.

I do not have experience with AIS, but it looks to be a very promising development that allows you to reuse & expose Interactive Application logic via an API. Used for inbound events only.

I have never written a BSSV, but JDE comes with a fair amount of functionality out of the box & they are not difficult to manage. Useful for both inbound & outbound JDE events.

CafeOne is another option that can fill small integration needs without any code whatsoever.

Again, big disclaimer here as well: This question was asked at some sessions presented by Oracle (for BSSV and AIS).

This was their answer in a nutshell, applicable to both BSSV and AIS: You need a user license for each user who touches JDE thorough BSSV or AIS. If you use a proxy user, you must still map it back to an actual user in the third party system and have a valid license for that user. If you are doing a batch update, like extracting data from the other system and then pushing it to JDE through one of these methods, you need only one JDE user license.

For IoT devices using AIS (not through the orchestrator, as that is licensed separately), each device must have a valid JDE user license even if all devices are using the same named JDE user to login and integrate.

XML Call Object is a gray area. I would think that the same licensing model would apply here as well, but you will need to confirm with Oracle.

Back