On Screen end of process notifications...Ideas please :)

johndanter

johndanter

Legendary Poster
Hi folks,

I've been asked to look into a way of informing a user on a APPL screen that a process has completed. Real time notifications.
The process is create a WO, attach a parts list and do some checks. (all that happens anyway)

So the user will launch the steps above and actually wait until they are complete before going onto another system. This 'mechanism' isn't up for debate sadly.

My old school idea was to wrap the whole process in a synchronous UBE called from the APPL that will launch all the other steps asynchronously. But the APPL waits for the UBE process to end then finishes then tells the user it's done on screen.

But with all the fancy new tech in E1, there must be a snazzier way?

Thanks

John

John, can you use RTE? I believe there is out of the box code that will accomplish exactly what you are looking to do.

"... wrap the whole process in a synchronous UBE called from the APPL that will launch all the other steps asynchronously. But the APPL waits for the UBE process to end ..."

John,

Current versions of JDE (including yours) doesn't allow an application to call a UBE synchronously. If you want the application to wait / detect when the UBE ends you'll have to setup a loop after submitting the UBE that monitors the Job Status. I don't recommend that approach. If it was me I'd do one of the following:
1. Email the user when the job completes (easiest to do)
2. Give the user a button called "Check Status" on the App screen that when pressed checks the Job status and updates a status field on the screen
3. Educate the users on how to use the carousel. The Recent Reports section there is dynamically updated already.
4. Setup a separate job queue - multi threaded - just for the interactive work order processing. Unless you have a large number of users doing this and/or a under powered batch jobs server WO processing should complete in 1-2 seconds - no need for user to wait.
5. Write a little app outside JDE (VB, whatever) that runs on the User's PC monitoring for JDE notifications to show the user.

Last edited:
I believe the "Synchronous UBE" option from APPL's has been deprecated for a long time, which means this is not a fun problem to solve given the tools natively available in JDE. (Maybe a watchlist on an E1 Page?)

As a web developer, I would likely solve this with CafeOne.
1. Build a custom APPL that has a button to launch your async UBE.
2. Use CafeOne to pass the Server & JobNbr (by Parameterized URL) to a custom webpage that sits to the right side of the screen.
3. Have the webpage check the UBE status on a loop, displaying a "Processing" spinner that changes to "Complete" when the UBE is finished.

Cheers folks.
I like Brandon's idea too but getting Cafe One up and running here will take too long.
I'll 100% suggest it as I'd like to get onto it myself.

Doesn't Cafe One need the enterprise edition of BI up and running? As if so I know I'll come across resistance from above as I've had the same on watch lists too

Totally forgot about the synch UBE option being taken away. Kind of spoils my plan! lol

Loving you suggestions too Larry.

If I call a BSFN to launch a UBE I could maybe add the synch option? Or even an asynch UBE calling a synch UBE?

Last edited:
Doesn't Cafe One need the enterprise edition of BI up and running?

Nope, CafeOne takes two thirds of bugger all effort to get up and running for this sort of thing. Here's a quick walk through for your tools release which should get you started: http://blog.rinami.com/2015/05/displaying-google-map-in-jd-edwards.html

With modern browsers and a bit of know how you can do some pretty funky stuff. For example we have an equipment monitoring system that creates a CBM alert in JDE when there's a failure which in turn sends a push notification to both the maintenance team leader and also the production manager responsible for the affected unit. They receive the information both on their phone and as a popup in their browser window which they can click on and see the relevant info.

Back