Oracle DB on Amazon RDS for JDE

max_xx

Well Known Member
Hi,

Does anyone know if Oracle DB is supported on Amazon RDS to be used with JDE ??

Also, we only have the Oracle DB Standard License with us. Will that cause issues on RDS ??

Anyone with any experience with this ??

Thanks in advance.

-Max

Hi Max

Technically it would be supported. However, the installation scripts that perform the initial datapump are prevented from running on AWS (or at least they were a while back) - so its recommended to perform an install on an EC2 instance, and then copy the database over to RDS afterward. However, if you're moving from physical to RDS - then I don't think thats going to be an issue.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance with Amazon AWS - I have extensive experience with AWS and have been a major proponent of using AWS for EnterpriseOne over the last couple of years.

Just for everyone's benefit, as Jon suggested, if you are planning to host DB on RDS, you will need a temporary Database\Database server to hold your Oracle DB objects. The scripts which JDE creates, we cannot run those scripts directly on RDS as we dont have access to OS layer on RDS.

So for my installation, I had installed Oracle DB on a Windows box, installed JDE (DB option only) which created the required scripts and the required schemas\tablespaces etc. Then exported the objects out of installed temp DB server and imported them onto RDS.

Jon knows what he's talking about. That initial datapump is still an issue.

Yes Max - and its a game-changer. I've already implemented it and it works great. Now there is an Oracle Database-As-A-Service for JDE that is production ready today.

Back