Development Fat client that supports JDev in 9.1/9.1.5 latest configuration

RonWeasley

Hi All,
I was analyzing the MTRs in certification section of MOS to setup a lab environment for JDE E1 App Release 9.1 (tools 9.1.5). I saw a unique problem. If I go by the latest and greatest configuration, I would need to select Oracle 12c database and Windows 2012 R2 as my Deployment Server configuration.
I have no problem with that; but when I try to create a corresponding Devlopment FAT client (That should also support BSSV pkg via JDev) - I am stuck! The Windows 8.1 fat clients support Oracle 12c and would be compatible with my deployment server configuration. But they don't support BSSV (no JDev 12c supported). But I would need a fat client that has the capacity to support BSSV (JDev 12c). Now, only Windows 7 configurations support JDev 12c but they don't support Oracle 12 local database.
Moreover, if I go by Oracle 11g database, the one supported by deployment server configuration is not compatible with development client.

This has confused me totally - how can one come up with a latest architecture design if the certified configurations have a conflict with each other. Can someone advise on this please? Oracle doesn't seem to have a clue.

You could use Windows 2012 as your Development client OS. It might be a little more pricier, but it is just a thought...

Hi Jon,
We don't have a problem with that. But the issue is that we don't see any means to have BSSV development. Windows 2012 or 8.1 that supports Oracle 12c database doesn't support JDeveloper. If I buy Windows 7 for fat client that supports JDev 12c; I wouldn't be able to install Oracle 12c local database there. Its a strange paradox and I am not sure how Oracle came up with an MTR that is technically impossible to achieve!
Please have a look if you get some time; and let me know if you find something..

I agree. When JDE went to the "certification tab" - things kind of went awry. In the past, we had the MTR document for a specific release that was a good document to work from and provided us with minimum specifications for what was required for JDE to run - but internally to Oracle, they felt it was a pain to keep updating a single document. So they adopted Oracles "certification" policy. The problem is, of course, with so many different layers of technology - one hand isn't talking to another inside Oracle and there is no "overriding" body that ensures that what is "certified" makes sense.

So, therefore, you have to open a call with Oracle and push them to understand that for EnterpriseOne - there is a mis-alignment of versions which results in you having to run a non-certified platform to do your work. A second place is to open up a Technical SIG ticket with the Quest User Group to ensure that Oracle Development correctly adopt and certify the correct versions.

Oracle is having some issues internally at the moment - their financial results released this morning were extremely poor (though not from the software sales side). Oracle also promised that 9.2 was to be released prior to FY15 - and we just saw financial results for Q415. So they missed releasing 9.2 on their anticipated dates for whatever reason. We all expected 9.2 to be released at Collaborate - and now its starting to look as if Openworld will be the event that the 9.2 release comes out. Almost certainly, the certifications are all aligned for 9.2 - but as dates slip, software hits End of Life and hence we get into this kind of situation. We've seen it before - I'm certain that this gap will be addressed, and the more customers/users that complain, the quicker that Oracle will react.

Back