Monitoring JDE Availability

DougR

Recently we had some downtime with JDE.

Our E1 system had been running for about six months without a re-bounce

The problem was highlighted by users complaining that they could not log into the system which pointed to an issue with the security kernels. Look at the instance from Server Manager showed nothing significant.

I noted that although most of the kernels had been recycled, there were a few with dates going back six months, including the three security kernels.

The OS (AIX) showed a large number of “defunct” processes owned by jde812

Apart from considering increasing the frequency of JDE E1 reboots we feel that we need to monitor system availability more closely.

We need to monitor JDE availability (this being the ability for users log in via the JAS servers). I have considered using a keystroke testing tool that attempts to log in and records any failures but I think that it may be overkill and may be detrimental to the web container’s performance.

Does anybody know of a way to monitor JDE availability, perhaps using the tool netwm, the JDE API, certain patterns in the log files or by looking for certain events in the OS (ipcs etc)?

The end result would pass details into Zabbix from where an alert could be raised.

We are using version 8.12 tools release 8.98

Many thanks guys

Back