Frustrating problem with local web on Windows 7...

swhitmire

Reputable Poster
My users and I are finally moving to Windows 7 from XP (yes, I know we're a little behind). I'm having a lot of trouble getting the local web to work reliably. I've installed WebSphere Express 6.1 with fixpack 29, which is what the MTRs say should work on Windows 7 at 8.98.4.2, but most of the time it doesn't work -- the IE window opens and tries to go to the right URL, but ends up with an Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage message. It looks like WebSphere isn't starting correctly, but starting it myself doesn't help. Looking at the netstat output, I don't think WebSphere is working right even when it says the service is running -- there's nothing listening on 9080 (where the local web should be) or 9060 (where the admin console should be -- I can't get to that either). Any ideas?

I just went through a frustrating few days with WebSphere Express 7, Windows 7 Enterprise, Apps 9.0 and Tools 9.1.0.0. It is not your combination of versions and the symptom you describe is different but I'll describe what I found in case it helps.

I was receiving a blank page or site not found error from the local web client after a few minutes of processing. With full JAS debugging turned on the local JVM was clearly doing something. No errors were reported.

I discovered that IE on Windows 7 was not treating "localhost" in the same way as it had in XP. It would not allow me to add localhost to the trusted zone and it was not giving localhost the permissions needed for JDE to function. I swapped in 127.0.0.1 for localhost in the JDE.INI web dev settings and everything started working. I also noticed that Firefox worked fine with localhost.

As I was working through this I swapped from WebSphere Express to OC4J and found the same behaviour which is what pointed me to something other than the local JAS. I've ended up going with the OC4J local web server anyway due to problems with WebSphere Express and the new OUI installer. WebSphere Express also has a lot bigger disk footprint.

We had some similar issues. Try disabling the WebSphere service (Oracle recommends removing the service entirely).

I had a similar problem recently with WebSphere Express 8.5 or 8.5.5 Tools 9.1.5.5 on a Windows 7 web dev workstation. Signon page would come up but when you entered your userid/password environment etc ... and clicked ok, it would just return to the sign on page. Everything looked good in the jas, jderoot, and jasdebug log files. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling a couple of times. Scoured Oracle Support for any and all issues relating to WebSphere 8.5. and tried just about everything. Nothing worked. Very frustrating - significant hair loss ! Finally I found this Thread and tried changing the webhostname in the workstation jde.ini file from 'localhost' to '127.0.0.1' and Bam ! Everything works. Thanks for nothing Oracle Support !!!

CNC Consultant
Windows Server 2012 R2
MS SQL Server 2012
E1 9.1 Tools 9.1.5.5
WebSphere 8.5.5

Back