JOBQs and Scheduler when moving AS400

jacobw123

Well Known Member
We are preparing to move the AS400. Do we have to put the JOBQs and/or scheduled jobs on hold or are they implicitly held when the AS400 is shot down and implicitly released when the AS400 is restarted? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jacob

I am not a One World or E1 guy but here are my 2 cents:

If you shut down your system gracefully and restart it you should have no problems. IBM's website has information regarding standard shutdown processes. The most that might happen is that any scheduled jobs that were supposed to run during the time of physical movement may have to be run manually.

If you do not have the background to do this then I would recommend calling an IBM Business Partner to assist you.

Good Luck...

Terry

I would manually hold the queues, and release them. The reason is that services must be up in order for the UBE's to complete normally. If not they fail.

One other note, if you are moving to completly new hardware, instead of upgrading, I don't think *JOBQ, and *OUTQ follow, but it has been a long time since I did that kind of move.

Just my 2cents worth.
Tom Davidson

If you shutdown the scheduler kernel then it will not ask the ube kernel to submit any jobs regardless of the OS. When the kernel is restarted, it will take a look at your F91320 and submit a ube launch request to the ube kernel for any job instances that have have a date/time that has already pasted. Therefore, if you do not want them submitted, you have 2 choices. Hold all jobqs (assuming you are using AS/400 queues and not E1 queues) and then cancel all jobs that were submitted. Or, set the scheduler kernel to not auto start in the jde.ini and then go into the scheduler app and delete the instances you do not want submitted.

Thanks so much Tom for your helpful information. From what you are saying I understand, we should follow the following steps in the following order.
1. Inactivate all the scheduled jobs in order to prevent them from entering the JOBQ
2. Put all the jobs on the JOBQ on hold, besides the one currently running, in order to prevent them from starting.
3. Wait for the running job to finish normally,
4. Shut down the system.

We can’t just put the JOBQ on hold because doing that might mess up the running job. If putting the jobq on hold doesn’t mess up the running job we could just put the jobq on hold and shut the system down. Please let me know if I am wrong.
Thanks,
Jacob

For step 2, I would hold the JOBQs not the individual jobs. Just in case user submit jobs.

Otherwise yes.

Back