Word Docx OLE MediaObjects

mikekoerner

Hi,

We are having issues viewing Word docx OLE media objects from the web client. Regular doc OLE media objects are fine, but those created with Word 2007 are corrupt?

I've searched all over and can't find a solution.

Thanks,
Mike

Only a suggestion - but is it saving the XML Word Doc (docx) - and when you view, is it reducing the name to xxx.doc ? If so, then you'd get gobbleygook since it opens the document up as an Office 2003 word document, not an xml document.

just a thought.

Secondly - let us know what tools release and version of E1 you're running - some versions do not support the later version of MS Office....

Thanks for the response. The file extension is still docx. We are on TR 8.98.3.4

If the OLE docx attachment is viewed on a machine with Word2007 it opens correctly. If it is viewed on a machine with Word2003 it doesn't open. Unlike the old doc files there is a "file corrupt" message if I try to open the file with Word2007 or Word2003 directly from the file server rather than through JAS.

Also I noticed that JAS returns the HTTP header Content-Type application/ms-word for docx files and Content-Type: application/octet-stream for doc, pdf and other OLE attachments.

Thanks,
Mike

Hmmmm, maybe you need to install the 2007/2010 Office Compatibility pack MS office Compatibility Pack How-To

OLE is Client-side technology. If you wanna open/view something - you need the appropriate s/w to do so.

When you say "open the file with Word2007 or Word2003 directly from the file server" are you referring to the Media Objects folder typically found on the Deployment Server?

The PCs have Office2003 installed with the Compatibility pack.

Yes, opening the Doc files from the Media Objects folder works, but the docx files are corrupt.

Thanks,
Mike

After some research I found that the docx file is a zipped file of xml. It appears that the file is corrupted while saving from the E1 Media Object web client.

I have a work around, but not a solution
1. Copy the Word Docx files to a temporary folder.
2. Run a conversion process
a.Unzip the docx file to a folder
b. Zip the unzipped contents
c. Run a script to convert the word docx files to doc
3. Copy the doc files to the media object folder
4. Update the F00165 file path references from docx to doc

I also sent a note to users not to use the docx ole object.

Thanks,
Mike

Back