Form Auto Refresh

rlanka

Is there a way to refresh an application without manual intervention after it has been launched?

I have a form that shows production metrics and should be dynamically refreshed every 3 minutes without any manual intervention.

Any ideas?

You should list your tools release, client platforms, etc. I have never seen anyway to do any type of "timer" mechanism in an APPL (w/o any hourglass, etc.) and have often wondered how I would implement something like that. I don't think you will find a "supported" way to do this. More than likely something like this will have to be done with some embedded JavaScript.

The problem is you dont really have any async events you can easily utilize to do something like this. My only thought was to use something like powerforms. Create a reusable "timer" subform, have the parent form "start" the "timer" by sending a message to the subform. Subform gets this message and calls a timer bsfn (simply waits x number of milliseconds before it returns). On returning from the bsfn have the subform send a message to the parent form, parent form gets message from subform and calls Find button (or whatever). May have to utilize a grid on the subform to give you an async event to call the bsfn. I really haven't tested any of this, just kind of thinking out loud.

You can do this with javascript, as Brian said.

However, there are some issues in the process. The primary issue is that the screen doesn't know if the user is in the middle of something. The 'find' fires no matter what.

Any fields being typed in will be erased when the 'find' event goes off. So, if your user is typing information at the moment the 'find' is fired, they will see their stuff disappear. Maybe that's ok for you. Note that 'exited' fields won't lose anything, just fields being typed in 'at the moment of the find button.'

The second issue for the screen is the fact that 'find' events put you back at the top of the grid. If the user has scrolled down and is looking at something, the find event will clear the grid and start them back at the beginning.

The third oddity is the need for a regular button that presses the 'find' on the toolbar. It might just be me, but I couldn't get the toolbar button to fire its 'click' event.

If this is a simple 'find/browse' that you just want refreshed and there's not a lot of scrolling around, then I have the solution.

Thanks for your responses Darren and Brian.

The first two issues shouldn't be a concern here because:

The workstation where this app runs doesn't have an option for user entry. It is for the sole purpose of displaying the metrics with no user activity.

Secondly, records are not added to the grid everytime the form is refreshed but instead the metrics are recalculated. The data in the grid is by machine and the production metrics are calculated values based on data from several different tables.

What would be the best way to do it?

Current Environment:
E1 9.0 (TR8.98.4.5)
MSSQL 2005
Weblogic 11gR1
Win2008 (64 bit)

If its for view only, I would probably write it as an external web application instead of using JDE tools. If you are dead set on using JDE tools (or required to use JDE tools) you will most likely have to use embedded JavaScript. Keep in mind, embedded JavaScript is not really an Oracle supported coding technique, but it can do some things that the standard Oracle toolset can't do.

Your post says that you "have the solution" to automatically refreshing. Is this a solution you are willing to share? We have the same requirements to automatically refresh a screen with metrics every minute on our manufacturing floor. Please let me know. Thank you.

Search Google for "Free Mouse Auto Clicker" and download it. The program I found and installed, allows the user to define the interval for the auto click as well as to define the Start and Stop function keys. Launch the Interactive Application and launch the Mouse Auto Clicker. Focus the mouse on the Find button and Start the Auto Clicker. You will notice that the Find button will be pressed at the desired intervals. I hope this helps. Goodluck, Pran Singh

Back