Client Requirements for Tools 9.1

dturkeltaub

According to the Tools 9.1 MTR for Clients, the only Windows operating system supported is Win7 64-bit. Does anyone know why the restriction to 64-bit? If that's correct, it's placing quite a burden on customers to have to upgrade their client OS.

Regards,
Dan Turkeltaub

Wouldn't this just be for full clients, i.e. development clients and CNC admin boxes, etc? End user clients are more dependent on the browser as opposed to the OS.

The way I read it, it specifically refers to WEB clients. A bit strange, true...

Hmmm that is interesting. I can't imagine that Oracle would expect an organization to upgrade all of their end user's PCs to Win7 64 bit. I would imagine that would be a deal breaker for a lot of organizations.

Let me clarify.........

for the end user clients only the browser matters and that is the ONLY item required and certified on the MTR's.

The desktop O/S for the end user client is irrelevant - only the browser is relevant.

For the Admin/Development Workstations only Windows 7-64 bit is certified. Why? Because Microsoft ended support for Windows XP years ago. So why only 64 bit and not 32 bit? Well 64 bit is the stategic direction of EVERYTHING.

Read the platform Statement of Direction - JDE is no longer certified on anything 32 bit related.

Of note is that the 64 bit vesrion of IE doesn't really work (no ActiveX). You'll need to use the 32-bit version on a 64 bit client O/S.

Colin

Indeed that all sounds true, yet the MTR doc states the following:

Web Client Operating System and Web Browser Information

The following table lists the supported Operating System / Web browser combinations by JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools Release.

Only the combinations listed in this table are supported.
ONLY THE SOFTWARE AND PLATFORMS INDICATED IN THIS DOCUMENT ARE SUPPORTED

Operating System Edition Browser
====================== ============== ====================
Windows 7 x64 (64-bit) Professional Internet Explorer 8
Ultimate Internet Explorer 9
Enterprise Firefox 5, 6, 7
----------------------+--------------+--------------------
Mac OS X 10.5 10.6 10.7 Firefox 5, 6, 7

So, going by the "Only the combinations listed in this table are supported.", everyone has to upgrade all clients to W7 x64...

I think your correct, looking at the MTR I don't see how you can take it any other way, Win7 64 bit appears to be required across the board for all clients.

We were considering a tools upgrade this year. I can tell you right now this will probably be a deal killer for my company, which is a shame because I think there are some really good features in 9.1. If we do upgrade or TR we will probably end up going to from 8.98.4.0 to 8.98.4.2 which hardly seems worth the effort to me. I can undertand requiring development and admin PCs to run Win7 64bit, but Web clients?

Actually, this is really starting to annoy me. Sometimes I wonder if Oracle's MTRs are nothing more than documents that effectively absolve them of any real world support. Right now we are on a pretty recent tools release that is OFICIALLY SUPPORTED by Oracle, yet when we called Oracle support with a problem related to one of our development PCs we were basically denied support since we are on XP... yet our "supported" tools release isn't supported on Win7. I guess we could move to Windows Vista to be in support... then we would be in support but nothing else would work. Vista... they might as well throw the Commodore 64 OS on the MTR.

Has anyone tried running the HTML client on a Win7 32-bit machine?

Dan

I have 20+ Development PC's on 9.0.2 with tools release 9.1.0.1 running on Windows XP with IE8.

Also have 200+ end user clients also on Windows XP with IE8 in the same environment.

At another client I have several Windows 7-32 bit machines running IE9 with a similar config.

No issues..........end user client support depends on the browser.

For the Development client pretty much anything works - what is certified is another story.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
what is certified is another story.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the real issue, not what will work but what is supported. Few companies are going to want to pay a boat load of money for support only to be denied it because they are not running on a supported OS. That is effectively what happened to us since we are running our dev clients on XP. Oracle basically said, "sorry your on your own". One of the reasons for upgrading our tools release is to get out of that situation. If we have to replace every end user PC... that's probably not going to happen.

This has been really helpful to me. I have another / connected question if I may. Does E1 9.1 still rely on activeX components to work with import / export / attachment functionality ? My understanding is the activeX controls will not work with 64-bit IE?

Thanks,

Sanjeev

No. You can import/export without ActiveX - by turning off ActiveX controls at the JAS.INI level.

However, this then removes the automatic import/export from microsoft products. Instead, you can import/export from CSV or from the clipboard. Its a slight reduction in functionality for a LOT safer environment.

Going back to the ORIGINAL post, the MTR's have been updated now to include 32bit Windows 7 - this was addressed by Oracle at Collaborate. So this thread isn't correct any more.

On a side note - ActiveX is evil. I try and destroy it wherever I find it.

I'm probably the last to know but there's another recent MTR development. Some time between 3 and 6 months ago I checked if we upgraded to 8.98.4.5 (on 8.12) if we would be supported with IE 9. The MTR said no.

I checked again about a week ago and its fully supported. You still have to be on Win 7 but its nice to know you don't need to go 9.x to get it.

Malcolm

Well, Jon, how would you then get to the Google Apps cloud, if not by using our WEB Grid Interfaces ? ;-)

We can probably release 64-bit version of it too, if needed.

Both Java & Flash are installed (and actually are in fact) ActiveX controls under IE, although neither advertises it as such.

JDE ActiveX installation process certainly sucks, but I really don't see anything particularly wrong with ActiveX. It's certainly alive and well and not going anywhere.

Thanks Jon! That's sound advice and I hear you. Although for many years now our users have been allowed to use the import / export functionality with mainly Excel. For attachments (another area that is used in anger by part of the business), I am guessing it still requires the activeX component(s)?

I scanned a recent reply from an Oracle Insider, seemingly apologetic - that 32 bit had been overlooked.

[ QUOTE ]
A.J. Schifano • Yes, we received a good bit of feedback that support for 32-bit Windows 7 was important, so we expanded the Minimum Technical Requirements to include 32-bit Windows 7 for web clients. The MTRs have recently been updated, so go check again. Thanks to all who provided input---please keep it coming!

[/ QUOTE ] ~ 5/2/2012

And further info on the 64/32/activex discussion:
https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=BUG&id=12973392

Enjoy!

(db)

AJ made the announcement at Collaborate during the Platform Round Table discussion that 32-bit Win7 will be supported, and that they really had no technological reason not to. We were one of the companies that talked to him personally a few weeks ago about it. It's good that they are listening!

Dan

We now have a 64-bit version of our Cloud Control available (not released yet, we are still testing it) - it's a grid export/import control for IE that replaces the standard JDE version.

The standard MS Office mode of operation is entirely free in this solution, so it's designed as a direct painless replacement for the JDE control. And the additional 1) Google Drive and Docs (the new interface that replaces old Google Apps), plus 2) Oracle OpenOffice modes will allow free 30 days trial.

OpenOffice or MS Office can be either 32- or 64-bit versions, both are supported.

The setup will be available as either EXE or MSI. Both are entirely silent / no prompts, making them very easy to install, i.e.: through a Domain Policy, or manually.

Once this solution is installed once, the users will not need to install anything else, although the new versions of IE would still present them with a prompt to enable this control, once per user. It's the same for any other control, including standard JDE one. It also installs a 32-bit control for 32-bit IE at the same time. So this single silent installation will be sufficient for every scenario.

Basically, even if you don't need the Cloud or OpenOffice functionality, you can still have the standard MS Office Export/Import in 64 bits for free and with less installation headaches (again, 32-bit version is also included).

If anyone is keen to try this replacement control now, even before it's officially released, please e-mail me directly...

This software moved to:
http://www.everestsoftint.com/products_cloud.php

1) MS Office mode if free, in both x32 & x64 versions, so it will work just like the standard control, but with IE64 support;

2) It's easier to deploy: with the silent MSI installer, it can be deployed to all clients through Domain Policy;

3) The additional Google Drive & Open Office modes will automatically start a time-limited free trial, if you want to see either in action or consider purchasing the licenses.

Back